diy solar

diy solar

EMP shed

bcolex

Going to build a power shed for inverter and batteries close to my utility rack. Concrete floor, probably use steel studs/framing and 29 gauge metal panels for siding and roofing.
Will this offer any protection from EMP and does it really matter? What would minimum recommended size be?

Minimal EMP protection. For full EMP there must be 100% shielding NO gaps. Google Faraday Cages

Minimal EMP protection. For full EMP there must be 100% shielding NO gaps. Google Faraday Cages
I was thinking about adding a wide strip of lath between the walls and roof panels, the type you put on before stucco. Wouldn't be 100% coverage, but....would "fill the gaps". Also could run a ground wire to exterior metal panels. I am familiar with Faraday cages but wondering if my plan would be sufficient.

A simple way to test what you build is to just take a AM/FM portable radio with you into it. If you can still receive stations, you dont have sufficient attenuation. You can try it in a microwave oven which makes a pretty good cage for low frequency signals such as AM broadcast. Find a station, turn up the radio, and stick itin the oven. As you close the door, you'll notice that the station either disappears or becomes much weaker. BTW, if you live next to the AM transmitter, you'll have a hard time testing this. Pick a fairly distant station, say one that is 20 or so miles away.

A couple of points about faraday cages:

1. They are straightforward in principle but difficult to build successfully, particularly large cages. The devil is in the details. The cost also increases quickly with size.

2. Doors are tough. The shielding has to be continuous around the opening. Finger stock can be used but it sees a lot of stress as the door is opened and closed, so the fingers can break or bend, compromising the shielding.

3. Cable entrances have to be decoupled so the cables don't conduct RF energy into the cage. This can be done with feedthrough capacitors and chokes. The design of these items is critical.

4. Faraday cages do not need to be grounded, contrary to what a lot of folks will tell you.

5. A slighly smaller cage is often built inside a larger cage. This will give you increased shielding. The two cages are connected together at one and only one point. Everything above applies to the inner cage.

6. They are typically made with copper screen (not cheap) so the all the seems can be soldered together. Materials that can not soldered are not a good selection.

There's more, but....

An interesting point is what happens along a long seam, such as along all sides of a door. Seems act as the inverse of a dipole antenna-the slot antenna. As a result, seems radiate signals into the interior of the cage!

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. We will have a lot more to worry about than damaged equipment if an EMP event occurs, be it from a high altitude nuclear burst or a coronal mass ejection.

Protecting panels is all but imposible.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Since an EMP close enough to damage your equipment would likely come from a nuclear weapon detonated in the air you probably have more to worry about than your equipment getting fried.

Just sayin'

EMP from a nuclear blast - you will NOT be worrying about your solar gear, you WILL have other priorities IF you survive.
A Solar CME (Coronal Mass Ejection) EM Blast is another creature that will (and does) take out Satellites & Grid Power if hit.

Simplest Solution is to get a Seacan, put it on a non-conductive surface and voila, you'll be pretty much CME safe.

Since an EMP close enough to damage your equipment would likely come from a nuclear weapon detonated in the air you probably have more to worry about than your equipment getting fried.

Just sayin'

I'm following this thread with interest. Not because of nuclear EMP, but because I'm a ham radio guy and see firsthand the effects of sunspots and CME's here on earth. With that, and the knowledge that we're a little over a year away from seeing the peak of this solar cycle and the inclreased sunspot/CME activity associated with that peak.. It's just something I've been thinking about.

To your point though, yes.. a nuclear EMP from a nearby detonation would be one thing.. but a distant detonation (and the resulting voltage rise on the grid) is another, and I think something that we can prevent/reduce with a little time and energy. Disregarding (for the sake of this conversation) all of the other affects it'd cause.

I'm following this thread with interest. Not because of nuclear EMP, but because I'm a ham radio guy and see firsthand the effects of sunspots and CME's here on earth. With that, and the knowledge that we're a little over a year away from seeing the peak of this solar cycle and the inclreased sunspot/CME activity associated with that peak.. It's just something I've been thinking about.

To your point though, yes.. a nuclear EMP from a nearby detonation would be one thing.. but a distant detonation (and the resulting voltage rise on the grid) is another, and I think something that we can prevent/reduce with a little time and energy. Disregarding (for the sake of this conversation) all of the other affects it'd cause.
If it makes you feel more secure then by all means carry on!

If it makes you feel more secure then by all means carry on!

I'm not sure "more secure" would be the term I would use, honestly. I don't know enough about EMP and EMP protection to feel "more secure" by anything I've done. However, if there are relatively inexpensive (and non-invasive) ways to reduce the potential impact.. I'm willing to take the time and effort to implement those things. That is my primary interest in this thread. If someone responds with ideas of how to mitigate impact, I can walk away and research those things, and then decide if they are right for me. Purely a knowledge/learning excercise. I don't imagine I'd ever be in a position to have a "utility room/mechanical room" sized faraday cage with all the necessities to keep my solar setup functioning after a large EMP/CME.. but If I can do some simpler/inexpensive things (I don't have a good example of this (which is why I'm watching this thread for ideas), so I'll just say something like.. having a shortwave or ham radio, a battery or 2, a 30w portable solar panel, and a small SCC in a metal trash can with a metallic gasket) to make the situation somewhat better, then by all means, I'm interested in those kinds of things.

Simplest Solution is to get a Seacan, put it on a non-conductive surface and voila, you'll be pretty much CME safe.
Interesting, I have often wondered about this. My solar room is built into one end of mine. But then I put 110 GFI outlets as well as a 30 amp for my 5th wheel while we build our home.

Back