diy solar

diy solar

SCE message on bill about export being forfeited is incorrect.

Ampster

Renewable Energy Hobbyist
A friend in Southern California had a question in his True Up bill that led to him realizing that his export had been forfeited by as much as 500 kWhs for at least six months. Overall his Net consumption increased by 1300 kWhs. He does not recall this in previous True UPS but those were always minimum True UPS and this True Up he had to pay $400.
My guess is he is on a paired storage agreement with SCE. It has come as a complete surprise and his installer is looking into it in more detail. He has been using that installer for years and I used him on a recent install. He has had solar for years and added batteries approximately five years ago. My only suggestion was to charge his EVs from excess solar and change programming on batteries to favor more self consumption.

Repeated forfeits during the year, over 6 months?
Is that something other than NEM 2.0?
Did time of use hours change?

I've forfeited unused credits at true-up some years. That hurts a bit, but overshooting on consumption and paying retail hurts more.

One forum member had paired storage (Sunny Boy Storage + LG Resu-10H, which I've also got), and over the past year it had been doing peak shaving at hours that didn't benefit him by reducing peak time consumption. He got a larger bill than he liked. Looked to me that suppressing export from battery until peak time would fix his situation.

Repeated forfeits during the year, over 6 months?
He has finally looked at the details and it seems it has been going on for at least a year. I think it is mostly a case of not paying attention. I encouraged him to charge his EVs from excess solar during the day and charge his battery storage from solar and change programming to favor more self consumption. In many ways he was a pioneer having NEM agreement #39 from a long time ago on NEM 1.0. When he added batteries and increased the size of his system he migrated to NEM 2.0 in the past five years.

As this story unfolds, I now understand that my friend's bill showed net generation of 504 kWhs and that total was forfeited. There is something wrong with that math since it is virtual curtailment of all his export, not just some amount over and above some paired storage limit.

An update on this ongoing saga. I did a Google search and discovered a thread that I actually participated in the discussion back in 2021 on another forum. In that case SCE confirmed that the message was in error and that poster confirmed that there was no deduction from the totals despite what the message said. In other words the message was erroneous. The friend in Southern California had only sent me a photo of one page of his bill so I was unable to check the math. I have requested a PDF of his entire bill so I can do that for him and put his mind at ease. My best guess is that is the case. His True Up bill would have been a lot larger if he actually had received no credit for any of his export.

Finally, I got a full copy of my friend's bill and despite the message that his export had been capped, the math said otherwise. I have corrected the title to this thread and the issue is closed.

Back