Feeding 4x LV6548.

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
I'm getting ready to start planning my build with 4, MPP solar lv6048's

These are 48 volt, 6500 watts

So I figured each unit will pull up to 160 amps

6500w ÷ 0.85 = 7647w

7647w ÷ 48v = 159 amps

So we could call that 160 amps per unit... I think this is a conservative rating as the unit is probably much more efficient than 85% DC to AC conversion rate

So the problem becomes how do I make the transition from 2, 16s lifepo4 batteries (eve cells 280ah and eve cells 304ah....)

Note: I eventually plan to add one, possibly two more 16S batteries probably 280 amp hour

I figure one way I could do it is run either a pair of 1/0 or a single 4/0 cable off each battery (and then copy the same thing on the negative side obviously)

From there I could run that to a busbar

But then how thick and wide would the bus bar need to be to support this? I mean that's about 650 amps?

Then I figure I could come off of the bus bar to four, class T fuses, probably 200 amp each one leading to an equal length 1/0 gauge wire, which goes to the various inverters

I imagine I would want to put a shut off somewhere... I would probably install a shut off switch at each battery? I would probably use blue sea

On the 6500 watt voltronic units each inverter pulls around 127 amps dc. Signature Solar has some nice 600 amp bus bars that would just about do it. But if you want more head room you could get a Victron 1000 amp busbar. I actually like overkill solar’s 1000 amp busbar they make. A 200 amp breaker at each inverter is what’s recommended I believe. T class fuses are a good idea also.

Either way you can attach your batteries to that central busbar system and you’ll be good.

On the 6500 watt voltronic units each inverter pulls around 127 amps dc. Signature Solar has some nice 600 amp bus bars that would just about do it. But if you want more head room you could get a Victron 1000 amp busbar. I actually like overkill solar’s 1000 amp busbar they make. A 200 amp breaker at each inverter is what’s recommended I believe. T class fuses are a good idea also.

Either way you can attach your batteries to that central busbar system and you’ll be good.
Kind of thinking about just building bus bars... I have a nice drill press... So it wouldn't be hard

Kind of thinking about just building bus bars... I have a nice drill press... So it wouldn't be hard
For what the Victron Lynx Power In costs ($140), I could not build a copper busbar and nickel plate it for the money. My time is worth more than what I'd save. It takes 1/4" x 2" copper bar to carry 1000A.

This is probably about the lowest price you will find on 1/4" x 2" copper bar about 2 foot in length. https://www.ebay.com/itm/354914866306 note that it is another $15 for shipping. Add in nickel rod for plating, even if you already have some it still is consumed. Then fasteners, isolators and a box to enclose it.

I do make some busbars, those I can not source anywhere. An example is my battery box, 1/4" x 1" x 48" long and nickel plated.

Back