diy solar

diy solar

GoKwh 100ah 12

FoxtrotMichael1

Complete Protonic Reversal
Just purchased a GoKw 100ah 12v, have it charging from a Renogy 40amp MPPT harnessing its energy from 4 100w Renogy monocrystalline panels. For the sake of funds right now I’d like to attach 2 100ah 12v Vatrer which appear to have over-voltage protection built in. I’ve watch Mr. Prowse’s videos on current sharing but has anyone tried to run these two battery manufacturers together either in series or parallel and can this be safely done?

Just purchased a GoKw 100ah 12v, have it charging from a Renogy 40amp MPPT harnessing its energy from 4 100w Renogy monocrystalline panels. For the sake of funds right now I’d like to attach 2 100ah 12v Vatrer which appear to have over-voltage protection built in. I’ve watch Mr. Prowse’s videos on current sharing but has anyone tried to run these two battery manufacturers together either in series or parallel and can this be safely done?

Brands irrelevant. There is no reason batteries of different brands should have issue operating in parallel unless the brands are uber-shitty. We have seen some brands advertising full BMS protection, but when opened, there is nothing but a weak balancer installed.

Series is a bit more of a concern as two different manufacturers procured at different times likely have different ACTUAL capacity and resistance, and the 24V will be limited by the weakest battery. You must charge each individually to full and then again in parallel to ensure each is fully charged to true 100% before placing in series.

The 48v gokwh uses a JBD bms. Not sure if the 12v is the same or not. Hope that helps a bit

Last edited:
The 48v gokwh uses a JK BMS. Not sure if the 12v is the same or not. Hope that helps a bit

My 12V definitely doesn't. It's JBD.

My 12V definitely doesn't. It's JBD.

Now I have to go double check my messages to make sure I didn’t misread
IMG_3423.jpeg

Thanks to all who replied! New to all this solar but find it fascinating. So simple but yet so rewarding to harness the power of the sun to operate the most simple low amp devices. Of course running a test with a very powerful heat gun it didn’t take all that long to kick off the battery haha. Ideally I’d like to have this run two fridges and one deep freeze, and I dunno I suppose a light bulb and flatscreen lol. I don’t know what do you guys think, how much bank do I need for that kinda power? My daylight autonomy is great here so maybe a few more panels too I guess? Also after reading about an unfortunate incident a member posted earlier on here, I’m a little scared of the melt fuses and should I switch them all to T fuses?

Thanks to all who replied! New to all this solar but find it fascinating. So simple but yet so rewarding to harness the power of the sun to operate the most simple low amp devices. Of course running a test with a very powerful heat gun it didn’t take all that long to kick off the battery haha. Ideally I’d like to have this run two fridges and one deep freeze, and I dunno I suppose a light bulb and flatscreen lol. I don’t know what do you guys think, how much bank do I need for that kinda power? My daylight autonomy is great here so maybe a few more panels too I guess? Also after reading about an unfortunate incident a member posted earlier on here, I’m a little scared of the melt fuses and should I switch them all to T fuses?

Get the kWh/year value for your appliances from the yellow energy sticker.

For lack of better information, an average fridge will use about 1.5kWh/day. Deep freeze may be more. Let's assume same.

1.5kWh * 3 = 4.5kWh

4.5kWh / 12.8V = 351Ah

4.5kWh will require 1000-1200W of solar in favorable conditions to generate daily.

But tearing apart the Vatrer are you in agreement they are making a better unit now at a very competitive price point? And again would you recommend I switch the melt fuses out to Ts

Back