diy solar

diy solar

Grid input on Off grid Inverters

highestbid

I hope this is a simple question. Do standard off-grid inverters (like eg4 6500ex or LV6548V) have some sort of rectifier or circuit that blocks power from going back into the grid or does any (every?) inverter have the possibility of a backfeed under the right conditions?

I have twin LV 6548’s and they simply can’t put anything into the grid unlike many grid tied that do inject a small amount even if they are programmed not to. If anything, the 6548 family will draw a small amount if it sees grid available.

Last edited:
In order to export, the inverter must be able to produce voltage higher than the grid input. It is designed NOT to do that because if a generator is connected there, that would be bad for the generator.

In order to export, the inverter must be able to produce voltage higher than the grid input. It is designed NOT to do that because if a generator is connected there, that would be bad for the generator.
Wouldn't the inverter be producing higher voltage when the grid is down? I don't recall seeing anti-islanding circuit mentioned on the off grid inverters, maybe I just missed it.

Wouldn't the inverter be producing higher voltage when the grid is down? I don't recall seeing anti-islanding circuit mentioned on the off grid inverters, maybe I just missed it.
Anti-islanding is not needed for an off grid AIO.
It can't export.
Inverter output is never connected to the grid.

The Grid or a Generator can be connected to an "input" port. If the generator is "off", then the off-grid inverter disconnects the port to prevent sending power to the generator. Similarly, if the grid is down, the port is disconnected. When the port is connected, the off-grid inverter follows the input line, and does not produce voltage in excess of what is presented at the port (to avoid feeding back a generator, or grid).

The Grid or a Generator can be connected to an "input" port. If the generator is "off", then the off-grid inverter disconnects the port to prevent sending power to the generator. Similarly, if the grid is down, the port is disconnected. When the port is connected, the off-grid inverter follows the input line, and does not produce voltage in excess of what is presented at the port (to avoid feeding back a generator, or grid).
Thank you that makes sense now.

Back