diy solar

diy solar

Hello from AL

jwilson007

Hi there! Been lurking around here for a while and got involved in a few posts, just wanted to introduce myself. I've been diving into solar systems as they primarily pertain to marine environments for my small sailboat that I'm working on. But, I have pondered looking into an off-grid solar system for my dad's barn out on his farm as a good way to learn and experiment haha.

Anyway, I would love to do something with solar at my house but oddly enough I think having roof-mounted panels is against the terms of my HOA in my neighborhood, which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. But I digress. Although I did have some ideas that might let me skirt some of those limitations. Would not be a robust system, but if nothing else might give me some battery backup for critical appliances as we do tend to get severe storms in this area fairly often.

Thanks for all the info here on this forum and all the help! This is a valuable resource for folks like me trying to learn all this stuff and get up to speed.

Jeff

Now you're talking :) May have to get creative haha. I do have one section of my back yard fence that I considered mounting a couple of panels to it. Receives sunlight almost all day and it would probably work fairly well.

May investigate my options after I get everything on the boat settled first.

Dang... looks like you're SOL on HOA PV restrictions in AL:

Wow I would never think I state would put such laws in place. What a bummer. Stay away from HOA's in AL.

You will look at the restrictions that your Homeowner’s Association has in place. Some states, like Arizona, Florida, and California, have laws in place that prevent HOA’s from enacting these kinds of restrictions. Alabama, however, does not have these kinds of laws in place.

:(

Matrix LLC is based in Birmingham AL and they help make sure it's hard to do anything but buy power from the incumbent utility.
They are the lobbyist for the Southern Companies (Alabama Power, Georgia Power, etc) that work to regulate and roadblock residential solar in the Southern Company operating footprint.

Back