diy solar

diy solar

Hello from Datil, NM

GregM

I'm just starting my second foray into solar system ownership. My original use was about 20 years ago with a small off grid system. It supplied about one 20a 115v circuit for a short time. I used it for an astronomy location.
This time I plan to go grid-tie. I have bought a pallet of 370w panels and a Growatt 11.4kw inverter.
Currently concentrating on building a ground mount system for those panels.

Eventually I would like to go off grid depending on how this project progresses.

Greg

Picking the array location....
There are two pink flags in this picture and we are looking roughly to the east.
The far flag is just above and to the left of the closest pink flag.
Looks like I will have to remove the Juniper to the right of the far pink flag.
I picked this location because it is very close to the input point of the grid power. Just about 40'.
There is a slight tilt to the property here, but only about 27" to the far corner.
The propane people say the array must be 10' (or greater) from the fill valve on the tank to the left.
I'll have to get my friend (with his Bobcat) to come over and drill the holes for the legs with his auger.
We really don't have dirt here, just rocks with sand around them.

Solar Location.jpg

You don't dig holes by hand in this part of the Earth.
I had to hire Kevin to come with his auger and make an opening. Even that is really tough as the auger is bouncing off rocks all the way down.
It makes for quite a bit bigger hole than the 12" auger, but it can go 4'.

holes.jpg

The first pole goes in. It is the reference pole which all other poles will be measured from.
It goes 4' down into the hole and 8'9" up. This is the north side of the solar array.
It took nine 80 lb bags of cement and 2 rocks to fill the hole. I don't think it will go anywhere.
Next we put in the furthest pole on the north side and then put the two poles in between.

Pole1.jpg

You don't dig holes by hand in this part of the Earth.
I had to hire Kevin to come with his auger and make an opening. Even that is really tough as the auger is bouncing off rocks all the way down.
It makes for quite a bit bigger hole than the 12" auger, but it can go 4'.

View attachment 185876
Wonder Kevin would like dig holes in the kind of rocks in AZ?

He used a "Rock Auger" which has a carbide pilot and the edge of the auger has carbide on it too.

PS
If you look closely you can see his front wheels are off the ground.

Last edited:
New years Day.

We planted Pole 4.
Putting in poles 2&3 will be a little easier. We will stretch a string across the tops of poles 1&4 to get an accurate measurement of poles 2&3.
We used a "string level" to get pole 4 the correct length.
Pole 3 will be next as pole 2's hole needs some work before we can plant that pole.
You can tell by the length of pole 4 that the ground is rolling off to the east.

11 Bags and one big rock

Pole 4.jpg

Last edited:
Planted the last leg on the north side today.
It's the one with the 2x4s.
It took 41 bags of 80lb cement to do the 4.
The closest pole took 9 bags. Pole 2 took 10 bags. Pole 3 & 4 took 11 bags each. A total of one pallet from Home Depot wiith one bag left over.

Pole 2.jpg

Me dangling pole 3 into it's hole.

pole 3.jpg

Last edited:
Getting ready to lift the silver horizontal pole (sitting on the orange jacks) up to the top of the vertical poles and bolt it on.

Big Truck.jpg

Back