diy solar

diy solar

Help me find some good cheap panels...

cdherman

I have quite a bit more roof space than I have need. So I don't need panels that have particularly high wattage (though of course one can save on racking with less panels). My roofs are all steel and really optimal in locations, so I 'd rather go that route. Large roofs on large sheds at a farm. We would rather not have ground mount, and because of wind considerations, flat on the roof (which is to say, matching the roof pitch) is best.

I found some panels at signature for like $0.43/watt in pallet lots. SEG Bifacial. But bifacial is kind of a waste flat on the roof. Are there other problems with using them flat on a roof?

I mean, I'd think I could find some cheaper conventional panels. Any leads? Any suggestions? Seems the bifacial ones from signature are the price to beat (I recognize, there is a $300 shipping fee as well)

Oh -- zero shading issues. Not many clouds either. Will be in strings, aiming for around 450-475v. Likely a Solar-Arc or AG4 largish AIO inverter.

Last edited:
If you want the cheapest panels - Suntan solar has used 250w (or so) panels - We put some of those on my Dad’s RV and they have been working well.

How soon do you need them? I am about to place a large order and I’m about four hours away from you. PM me.

Back