diy solar

diy solar

Here we go again... Another 400A split service setup with Sol-Ark 15K

gte755t

I currently have a 400A split service coming into a Square D (CU12L400CB) Main that's serving 2x 200A Square D (QO160M200PC) panels.

I'm considering 2x Sol-Ark 15Ks in parallel to run this system, but I'm trying to understand if running these in parallel would limit the entire system to 200A while connected to the grid, or if having both running in parallel would allow me to pull > 200A. While I don't expect this scenario to be an issue, I'd prefer not to limit the overall throughput of the system down to 200A from 320A continuous.

My hesitation with running the 2x Sol-Arks independently is because I want to take advantage of the parallel stacking functions for greater overhead on the PV and Battery side.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

What are you running out of each 200a panels? And, do you really want to run everything in a grid down situation?

I am working through a similar situation. In my case, I will have some significant shop tools in a large garage/shop and would like to have a dedicated 200a service for it. But, after realizing the real world limitations of the current inverters, rules, and battery budget, I am leaning toward the shop/garage only having grid-up power. Do I really need to run a plasma table if the grid is down for 4 or 5 days? Really no different than a “critical loads” panel…just 200a.

Buying a few emporia Vues and graphing the data in Home Assistant has made seeing what the actual loads look like and exactly where they are coming from and when has been very helpful.

For instance, laundry typically happens in the evenings currently…which would be a huge draw on a battery setup. But, we could adjust that to take advantage of solar production and add more panels as needed to cover our needs. Being able to isolate and view the individual needs has been very helpful.

My 2 cents

If I’m not mistaken, you would be at 400 amps on grid and 100a off grid
That was my understanding on the 400 amps on grid, but wasn't sure if the 100 amps off grid was per panel, or 100 amps shared between the whole system.

What are you running out of each 200a panels? And, do you really want to run everything in a grid down situation?

I am working through a similar situation. In my case, I will have some significant shop tools in a large garage/shop and would like to have a dedicated 200a service for it. But, after realizing the real world limitations of the current inverters, rules, and battery budget, I am leaning toward the shop/garage only having grid-up power. Do I really need to run a plasma table if the grid is down for 4 or 5 days? Really no different than a “critical loads” panel…just 200a.

Buying a few emporia Vues and graphing the data in Home Assistant has made seeing what the actual loads look like and exactly where they are coming from and when has been very helpful.

For instance, laundry typically happens in the evenings currently…which would be a huge draw on a battery setup. But, we could adjust that to take advantage of solar production and add more panels as needed to cover our needs. Being able to isolate and view the individual needs has been very helpful.

My 2 cents
It's mostly for flexibility in allowing the available throughput if necessary without overloading, and not wanting to revamp my 2 load centers.

None of the loads would be continuous, but there are certainly times where there could be a short ramp up that could put us in the danger zone.

That was my understanding on the 400 amps on grid, but wasn't sure if the 100 amps off grid was per panel, or 100 amps shared between the whole system.
Each 15k unit can output 50a offgrid (62.5a for battery + solar)

I currently have a 400A split service coming into a Square D (CU12L400CB) Main that's serving 2x 200A Square D (QO160M200PC) panels.

I'm considering 2x Sol-Ark 15Ks in parallel to run this system, but I'm trying to understand if running these in parallel would limit the entire system to 200A while connected to the grid, or if having both running in parallel would allow me to pull > 200A. While I don't expect this scenario to be an issue, I'd prefer not to limit the overall throughput of the system down to 200A from 320A continuous.

My hesitation with running the 2x Sol-Arks independently is because I want to take advantage of the parallel stacking functions for greater overhead on the PV and Battery side.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
You are not using anywhere near 320/400 amps.

Most we have ever pulled is 18kw.

I have a 400 amp service.

We put in a Ronks Service entry rated 400 amp transfer switch.
We can run Grid from one side of switch and Solar from other side.

2 x 15ks in parallel on one side of transfer and grid on the other.

We run entire house and shop on those 2 15ks.

If you wish to run the grid into your 15ks for charging or grid assist then you can line tap ( at the meter pan) or use Polaris lugs to a Disconnect then to grid input on your 15ks.

It's mostly for flexibility in allowing the available throughput if necessary without overloading, and not wanting to revamp my 2 load centers.

None of the loads would be continuous, but there are certainly times where there could be a short ramp up that could put us in the danger zone.
I hear ya. I know the 400a service gets stuck in my head. The energy monitors I bought, plus the graphing available in Home Assistant have helped get me focused on the peaks and what my actual needs are. As many people have said, and will continue to :), you are not likely to max out your 320/400a service...or come anywhere near it.

Everything has a cost...if you want to leverage one set of paralleled units, and you are trying to leave your existing two load center setup in place, there will be a cost. Line side tap = 400a equipment = more $$$. Do it on the load side of the 200a panels = cheaper 200a rated equipment, blah blah blah...I am sure you get the idea.

In my case, it took me a while to really try to drill down on what exactly I wanted. Once the shiny new thing (my own power generation and backup system) wore off a little, I focused on when I envisioned using this stuff, and why. For me, that is being able to live largely how we do now, if the grid is up or down, AND being able to offset our power usage on a net basis with solar.

That equates to inverters that can start and run multiple water pumps (we have an in-ground well pump and a separate pressure pump that can run simultaneously), induction cooktop, electric dryer, enough battery to run the a/c through the night, and enough solar to offset our energy usage overall. That is where I am landing with my starting point. I will make sure to leave the possibility of battery, solar, and inverter expansion in the event my aspirations grow. I will be running a couple of spare conduit stubs into the shop/garage just in case. :)

The AIO inverter makes things sound very simple...and I think for most installs that is the case. The split 400a setup is more of a mental hurdle than a physical one in the end...but, I think you have to pick which one is more important....leaving your dual panel setup in place or not running paralleled 15k's. Then you get to pick where to spend your $$ :)

Back