diy solar

diy solar

How long to charge SOK 48V 100Ah PRO Server Rack Battery?

oceanrider

Via 120vac shore power, using a Victron 48V MultiPlus UL1741 3k 120v Inverter 35A Charger, how long should it take to charge one or two SOK 48V 100Ah PRO Server Rack Battery(s)?

Quick, rough estimate: Most chargers are rated by how many amps they put out per hour. You have a 35A charger. It will put "approximately" 35 amps into your battery, per hour. If you have a 100ah battery, totally depleted, it would take about 3 hours to fully charge. Two batteries depleted, double that time.

With a 35A charger and targeting say 58V, one battery should take about 3 hours if it's completely empty. Two batteries, 6 hours.

Would there be anyway to wire the system so you could isolate batteries so you could focus the charging to one battery only?

Would it be better to charge the packs together?
You would wind up with separate packs sitting in a different state of charge when done separately...

Would it be better to charge the packs together?
You would wind up with separate packs sitting in a different state of charge when done separately...
Not sure what he's trying to accomplish but def want them at similar states of charge before connecting them together in parallel. Easiest would be fully charged 1, fully charge 2 then parallel.

Not sure what he's trying to accomplish but def want them at similar states of charge before connecting them together in parallel. Easiest would be fully charged 1, fully charge 2 then parallel.
Okay
I wondered the correct procedure on this.

I have three packs being assembled soon and can only initially charge them one at a time so I figure get one to 100% and commission into system then work to get the next up to !00%. When the first one returns to !00% after being used then commission the second pack ect.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm looking into using the above stated components for a mobile workshop application. I think for my application it would be good to be able to isolate batteries so I could charge one up completely in 3hrs or so. And use them independently if needed.

My situation might allow me only 4-5 hrs of charging time some days. I live in an HOA that requires all vehicles be parked inside between 12-6. I guess it is the HOAs remedy to people not leaving derelict cars outside for extended periods. I have a high roof and need to park overnight out on the public street away from charging ability.

Last edited:
Quick, rough estimate: Most chargers are rated by how many amps they put out per hour. You have a 35A charger. It will put "approximately" 35 amps into your battery, per hour. If you have a 100ah battery, totally depleted, it would take about 3 hours to fully charge. Two batteries depleted, double that time.
Curious could I use a 15amp 120vac outlet from my house, or is more amperage needed for this Victron charger? Also not sure if the Victron could take 240vac for the charging application.

Curious could I use a 15amp 120vac outlet from my house, or is more amperage needed for this Victron charger? Also not sure if the Victron could take 240vac for the charging application.
You can use the powercontrol setting to reduce the amperage draw on the grid input to say 13A and use a regular outlet. Out of the box it will draw up to 35A I believe.

If it's a 120V Victron you can't give it 240V.

You can use the powercontrol setting to reduce the amperage draw on the grid input to say 13A and use a regular outlet. Out of the box it will draw up to 35A I believe.

If it's a 120V Victron you can't give it 240V.
So, would that also mean that the charger would put out less if only 13A was input? And the charge time longer?

So, would that also mean that the charger would put out less if only 13A was input? And the charge time longer?
So that's 13A of 120V, so say 120*13=1560W

Charger is running 35A at say 58A, needs 2030W.

So yes you'll be limiting the charge rate of the mp2s charger due to the lower amperage of the grid connection.

Not sure if you can run a dedicated 20A circuit for your mobile hookup AC in. Then you could limit it to say 18A and be close to maxing out the 35A charger. Alternatively use something like a chargeverter (up to 100A of charging) to charge both batteries quickly).

Not sure if you can run a dedicated 20A circuit for your mobile hookup AC in. Then you could limit it to say 18A and be close to maxing out the 35A charger. Alternatively use something like a chargeverter (up to 100A of charging) to charge both batteries quickly).
Yes, I could add a 20A breaker. Thanks for your help on this. I will probably do that for sure. Farily easy to do that.

But you're saying that I could add this chargeverter device to the Victron? Would you mind providing a link to that?

Last edited:
Yes, I could add a 20A breaker. Thanks for your help on this. I will probably do that for sure. Farily easy to do that.

But you're saying that I could add this chargeverter device to the Victron? Would you mind providing a link to that?
You connect it to the power bus, easiest would be say a lynx distributor. 4 connections Inverter connects to it, the two batteries and the chargeverter

This will let you charge your two batteries at 50A each, around two hours and you'll have both batteries charged. So you won't have to deal with extension cords and 6 hours of waiting. Do you have a 240 outlet in your garage? That would be the ideal connection for full charging rate. It can work on 120V but not at the 100A output level.

You connect it to the power bus, easiest would be say a lynx distributor. 4 connections Inverter connects to it, the two batteries and the chargeverter

This will let you charge your two batteries at 50A each, around two hours and you'll have both batteries charged. So you won't have to deal with extension cords and 6 hours of waiting. Do you have a 240 outlet in your garage? That would be the ideal connection for full charging rate. It can work on 120V but not at the 100A output level.
Thanks!

Yes, I do have a 220vac outlet in the garage.

Could I keep this out of my van and in the garage all the time. I looked at the spec sheet, I think it says this is only 13lbs. I probably could find the space in the van for it. It looks bigger in the website picture but the spec sheet says it is approximately 5x5x13 inches. Might be best in the van as I could use a generator to charge with it.

If I was going to get this is there another Victron option I could use without a charger? Since I assume if I was using this I'd not be utilizing the Victron charger, that I'd be bypassing it?

Thanks!

Yes, I do have a 220vac outlet in the garage.

Could I keep this out of my van and in the garage all the time. I looked at the spec sheet, I think it says this is only 13lbs. I probably could find the space in the van for it. It looks bigger in the website picture but the spec sheet says it is approximately 5x5x13 inches. Might be best in the van as I could use a generator to charge with it.

If I was going to get this is there another Victron option I could use without a charger? Since I assume if I was using this I'd not be utilizing the Victron charger, that I'd be bypassing it?
I don't have one but looks like decent length on the cables and they are detachable on this one (older yellow model isn't). Be aware they are loud due to small fan but doesn't seem like you are living with it like a camper etc.

There are Victron pheonix inverters with no charger but they don't get into the larger sizes like a multiplus or quattro. Stick with the multiplus, plus then that gives you the flexibility of 120V charging at a slower rate if away from home and you don't want to fire up the generator. For example if you are doing a renovation type job may be able to plug in to an outdoor outlet etc and get a little charge that way.

Screenshot_20240427_120817_Chrome.jpg

I don't have one but looks like decent length on the cables and they are detachable on this one (older yellow model isn't). Be aware they are loud due to small fan but doesn't seem like you are living with it like a camper etc.

There are Victron pheonix inverters with no charger but they don't get into the larger sizes like a multiplus or quattro. Stick with the multiplus, plus then that gives you the flexibility of 120V charging at a slower rate if away from home and you don't want to fire up the generator. For example if you are doing a renovation type job may be able to plug in to an outdoor outlet etc and get a little charge that way.

View attachment 211785
Thanks!

And this video is very informative regarding this topic. And it sounds like from this video that this would be the best way to charge, unless you are okay with slow charging and can always do that. I just won't always have that ability, as at the end of the day I need to have my van parked away from my house. And if you needed to charge with a generator this is for sure the best way. And these unit are indeed small, and I would just install it in my van.

Last edited:
Back