diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid inverter configuration with whole home generator

mike11d11

I'm looking to put together a solar system with a hybrid inverter and doing my research. a friend of mine that is a solar installer said that since my home has a whole home 20kw generator it would not be compatible with the eg4 18kpv hybrid inverter. i've been looking at both the sol-ark 15k and the eg4 18k, could anyone give me any advice on if it is possible to have this setup with my whole home generator already installed. my meter feeds to an ATS switch that the generator feeds into, and this ATS feeds into my main panel. Just trying get some ideas so any help and wisdom is greatly appreciated!

Yes, it will work fine.
Place the hybrid AIO in between the transfer switch and panel.
You will need an agreement with the utility company.
And you will have to tweak the settings, so that it never exports power to the generator. Or put it in place of the transfer switch.
The easier solution would be to use off grid AIO's instead of hybrids.
no need to get involved with the power company for permission.

What's wrong with the generator port of the Sol-Ark?
Generator port is fine on the 15k, but then he would have to rewire the generator. He asked for "have this setup" - generator on ats.

Also, 20kw exceeds the 19.2 kW limit of the gen port. Not a big difference, especially since the generator shouldn't be run at 100%

Generator port is fine on the 15k, but then he would have to rewire the generator. He asked for "have this setup" - generator on ats.
But you recommended two different things.
I was just trying to figure out why they were different.
Also, 20kw exceeds the 19.2 kW limit of the gen port. Not a big difference, especially since the generator shouldn't be run at 100%
Right

18kpv manual did not talk about putting generator on grid input, so might have backfeed issues. 15k allows generator on either connection.
Both can utilize it better on the correct port.
And simplify the installation.

Of course, I wouldn't use either one.
I would select an off grid AIO.

What off grid AIO would you guys recommend to use instead? My main panel is 200A and the generator is 20kw. I eventually want to hook enough solar and batteries to offset my electric bill during the day, I have feee evenings. I’m not to concerned about feeding back to the grid at all.

Probably 2 x EG4 6kxp's would cover your needs.
Since you are already looking at units with 12k output.
If not, just add a 3rd, later.

Note: If you ever need more than 20kw the 6000xp cannot supplement the power from the generator. I believe the 15k can with the generator on the grid port (your proposed setup).

Back