diy solar

diy solar

I have ups or appliances

neilcoates72

Don't shout I'm trying to learn
Hi all I have an option of ups or appliances on my 8.2kwh y and h hybrid inverter. everything is now running great.
1 its grid tied
2 I have 48v lipo4 battery bank
3 I have my out house lockup linked to the output also a hot tub

question I really have is if the grid went down would the inverter push the battery power back into my home using the option (ups or appliances)

Which inverter make and model do you have?

And where are you, North America or elsewhere (regulations vary).

EDIT This one? https://www.yonghuisolar.com/collec...ar-hybrid-inverter-160a-dc48v-ac230v-inverter

From the manual

1705830213482.png
Yes, it will take over the load if the grid goes off.

If I understand correctly the UPS or Appliance setting simply alters the the switch-over time from grid to inverter.

You can test easily enough, just turn off your incoming supply :)

Last edited:
Which inverter make and model do you have?

And where are you, North America or elsewhere (regulations vary).

EDIT This one? https://www.yonghuisolar.com/collec...ar-hybrid-inverter-160a-dc48v-ac230v-inverter

From the manual

View attachment 190368
Yes, it will take over the load if the grid goes off.

If I understand correctly the UPS or Appliance setting simply alters the the switch-over time from grid to inverter.

You can test easily enough, just turn off your incoming supply :)
That’s the one . 8.2 kWh

That’s the one . 8.2 kWh
That's an off grid AIO. (Not grid-tied)
It can not export.
It can only supply power to the loads connected to the output. If the input is lost, it will continue to power the loads from the battery. Assuming that the battery isn't dead.
Appliance vs UPS, determines the allowed voltage variance range on the input.
Appliance is more tolerant to voltage sags. And a better choice when using a generator.

It shouldn't "push back" to household loads wired on the grid side of the inverter.
You can wire your main breaker panel with an interlocked, backfed "generator" breaker. Then when power fails you turn off main breaker, slide interlock, turn on generator breaker to let inverter feed loads on the panel (if panel also feeds inverter, turn off that breaker.)

The interlock prevents you from turning on both main breaker and generator breaker, which would blow up the inverter and/or electrocute utility workers.

Back