diy solar

diy solar

Interested in building a 3000 Watt system

Hello Everyone!
I have been looking into solar systems recently because im planning to go off grid into the Northern part of California near the Nevada and Oregon borders. The area is well wooded and gets 3-6 feet of snow as well as cloudy days. But there are patches of sunlight for 4-6 hours 3-6 days a week. I would like to build a bullet proof system that would provide me with enough power to power a 517 square foot home, small workshop/garage,well pump and any odd and end devices such as refrigerator, deep freeze, electric stove, lamp lights, electric (instant heat) water heater(s), etc... I have already bought a Honda 3000is Generator and was thinking a 12 volt solar system only. Initially, i will be living in a camp trailer, very basic, while the home is built. My plan was to go with 2 200 watt panels, and 1 12 volt 200 ah batterie. Winter started 2 weeks ago in that area and has already received 1 foot of snow. I would like to use the system on the camper and transfer it to the home after. After watching some YouTube videos on building some systems I've come up with some components that i'd like some feed back on. To start, THE BATTERIE... 1 12v 200+ ah. I've found a couple. Duracell has a 12v 228ah for $329 but its not a maintenance free. Magna Power (from batteries plus) has a 12v 215ah maintenance free for $582. Aims Power has a 12v 200ah maintenance free for $439. If anyone knows of a better/best batterie for a reasonable cost, im listening. 2nd, SOLAR PANELS... Ideally, i'd like 2 200 watt panels and I am still researching but i'd like durable for the weather conditions so any help would be appreciated. 3rd, The INVERTER...I'm still looking around but I've found a AIMS POWER 3000 watt for $280 but, again, any help would be appreciated. 4th, THE SOLAR CHARGE CONTROLLER... It seams the EP EVER TRACER BN 40a would be my choice. AM I CRAZY or on the right path?? If someone out there already has something like this or better, I'M LISTENING.
Thank You,
Stan

I've been doing off grid forest dwelling for several years now and in a climate with plenty of cold, snow, rain and gray foggy days. Because I do not have the 30 to 40ish k to build a bullet proof system that would replace the grid watt for watt 24/7/365, I had to realistically examine my energy usage and not only cut way back on the amount of energy I use, but also plan and coordinate my high demand usage, (such as operating my 2700 watt, 220 vac water pump, vacuuming, shop equipment, etc). At this juncture, I do not generate and store enough solar energy so I have to operate a 6,500 watt gas generator for high usage applications. Also, during long periods of cloudy weather, I run the generator to power a battery charger to charge my *lithium ion phosphate batteries. My suggestion if I may, in addition to solar and gas generator, look at using a combination of energy sources including wind and thermoelectric. Note: *Lithium Ion Phosphate batteries absolutely blow the doors off of anything lead acid based, HOWEVER, you must keep the batteries above 32 degrees Fahrenheit, (a 6' deep root cellar with zero wind movement will suffice), or the batteries will be ruined if you try to charge them below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

Hi offgriddle. It sounds like your living conditions there are similar to my plans but i don't know that I'll be running or implementing the same amount of power. I'm thinking of also getting a couple 5000 gallon water tanks to offset my well pump usage. I'm thinking primarily electric usage would be refrigerator and deep freezer which i plan to put on timer's anyway. I just want to make sure I'm on the right path with a low as possible cost.

Five thousand gallons x 8 pounds per gallon = 40,000 lbs, x 2 = holy moly! Since water freezes you will have to have these huge tanks inside ..

I have a passive pressure tank in the root cellar out of the freezing weather. When the tank gets empty, I start the generator and run the deep well water pump and refill the tank. There are a variety of ways to go, including 12 volt sailboat pressure systems. You can also heat your water with an on demand propane hot water that only heats water when it's flowing. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/pressure-tanks

Hello Everyone!
I have been looking into solar systems recently because im planning to go off grid into the Northern part of California near the Nevada and Oregon borders. The area is well wooded and gets 3-6 feet of snow as well as cloudy days. But there are patches of sunlight for 4-6 hours 3-6 days a week. I would like to build a bullet proof system that would provide me with enough power to power a 517 square foot home, small workshop/garage,well pump and any odd and end devices such as refrigerator, deep freeze, electric stove, lamp lights, electric (instant heat) water heater(s), etc... I have already bought a Honda 3000is Generator and was thinking a 12 volt solar system only. Initially, i will be living in a camp trailer, very basic, while the home is built. My plan was to go with 2 200 watt panels, and 1 12 volt 200 ah batterie. Winter started 2 weeks ago in that area and has already received 1 foot of snow. I would like to use the system on the camper and transfer it to the home after. After watching some YouTube videos on building some systems I've come up with some components that i'd like some feed back on. To start, THE BATTERIE... 1 12v 200+ ah. I've found a couple. Duracell has a 12v 228ah for $329 but its not a maintenance free. Magna Power (from batteries plus) has a 12v 215ah maintenance free for $582. Aims Power has a 12v 200ah maintenance free for $439. If anyone knows of a better/best batterie for a reasonable cost, im listening. 2nd, SOLAR PANELS... Ideally, i'd like 2 200 watt panels and I am still researching but i'd like durable for the weather conditions so any help would be appreciated. 3rd, The INVERTER...I'm still looking around but I've found a AIMS POWER 3000 watt for $280 but, again, any help would be appreciated. 4th, THE SOLAR CHARGE CONTROLLER... It seams the EP EVER TRACER BN 40a would be my choice. AM I CRAZY or on the right path?? If someone out there already has something like this or better, I'M LISTENING.
Thank You,
Stan
Before you buy ANYTHING add up your energy watt hours... it may surprise you how much energy you need...

For dedicated off grid use... I would recommend you start at a minimum with a 24v system... you will save money on wire. And have a MUCH better expand ability.

Before you buy ANYTHING add up your energy watt hours... it may surprise you how much energy you need...

For dedicated off grid use... I would recommend you start at a minimum with a 24v system... you will save money on wire. And have a MUCH better expand ability.
for sure, I recently moved up to 24 volts output from my panels and I gave checked into 24 volt invertors and they are reasonablly priced and plentiful. Sadly, the manufacturer of my new lifepo's does not recommend series connecting for the models I have, but that's okay, I'll stay at 12 for awhile until I am ready to go with new batteries and invertor simultaneously.

Back