diy solar

diy solar

Is it possible to protect your Solar System against EMP?

The thread is "is it possible ...". Since you have read the thread, and did not see a "reasonable" way to protect ...
I just did whatever I could to REDUCE possibilities of adverse effects from a CME or EMP. Nothing is perfect.

* Use Fair-rite ferrites on all cables
* Enclose as much wiring as possible in a trough or conduit
* Install whole house lightning suppression and surge suppression
* Ensure your grounding is perfect
* Install wire mesh around exposed inverters
I used simple wire screening around a wood frame to enclose the inverters.

Attachments

• 20240516_144748.jpg
    20240516_144748.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240516_144736.jpg
    20240516_144736.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240516_144727.jpg
    20240516_144727.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 8
Use Fair-rite ferrites on all cables
Those need to have 2 ferrite halves touching or they do not work at all. If you have too many wires through them where they cannot slide, even if plastic cover clamps shut it may not press ferrite pieces tight enough rendering them totally useless. Use larger one piece ferrite beads or toroids. Not sure which ferrite material is best for E1 wavefront onset and intensity, probably type 61 with few turns. Maybe combine type 43 and 61. Need to do research on this.

take aways:
long unshielded wires create problems.
don't connect to the grid at all.
have a back up for everything in a shielded container.
cross your fingers and think pleasent thoughts.
Yup. That's the closest I'm getting to taking something away from this (which is what I was getting at with my somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment.

The only thing I'm struggling with keeping in storage are the panels. I just know I'll want to see them mounted and producing power. Maybe ask my wife to hide them from me...

Back