diy solar

diy solar

Is Rapid Shutdown required on Barns?

MurphyGuy

It just needs a bigger hammer
Anyone familiar with the NEC codes or Michigan codes?

Is Rapid Shutdown required for solar panels mounted on the roof of an agricultural barn?

That NEC code area I believe is for any structure-mounted solar panels due to its purpose. Whether Michigan or your local jurisdiction or insurance policy requires it I don’t know.

Your local inspector is your best source. No matter what published rule may state, he has the final say.
Our local inspector is mostly incompetent.

I live just outside a small town. I could ask him and he could say no, then change his mind latter and I'm screwed.. and he'll never put it in writing like an email.
More likely, he'd probably say yes just to cover his own ass even if its not required.

There is a little wiggle room since the code says"buildings" rather than "buildings and structures." In a rural area you likely could avoid it if it is purely a storage structure.

Our local inspector is mostly incompetent.

I live just outside a small town. I could ask him and he could say no, then change his mind latter and I'm screwed.. and he'll never put it in writing like an email.
More likely, he'd probably say yes just to cover his own ass even if its not required.
The question to ask is if the barn is considered an occupied structure, and then lead to the RSD question. If the fire department is more transparent then ask them if they would fight a fire from the barn roof, and use that response to lead the inspector.

How much of a hassle is it to implement? Most equipment these days has support, so part of me thinks just put it on there and that way you're covered if they do decide they want it (especially if the guy changes his mind all the time and nothing is in writing).

How much of a hassle is it to implement? Most equipment these days has support, so part of me thinks just put it on there and that way you're covered if they do decide they want it (especially if the guy changes his mind all the time and nothing is in writing).
Shitty made rapid shutdown devices baking in the heat on the underside of panels likely attached to a metal roof. It’s probably not the costs, it’s the upkeep for little gain in regards to actual safety.

Finding stock of Tigo equipment can be a challenge. The alternatives lack track record.

I guess I misunderstand rapid shutdown. I thought that was/can be done at the inverter level.
Oh well. Ignore my ignorance ?

I have a system with rapid shut down. I showed the POC inspector NEC. They didn't care. Still required physical disconnects.
Requirements here for mounting on non-residential is the same as residential for grid tie.

Back