diy solar

diy solar

It's not a real project until...

The project day is not complete until something goes permanently wrong in a minor way that's not worth redoing.

PVC conduit: Last vertical slips farther into the fitting than as measured, lifting the whole 10 ft before the elbow an inch of the bottom of the trench. Oh well.

Running 290 feet of continuous 12 awg thhn for PV. After cutting have to make a 6" adjustment and pull backwards and this is the box with a burr that mars the nylon jacket on the wire. Oh well.
Seems like one of my projects. Always something..

Its a real project when one has to start re- engineering things half way thru , to make up for missing that step in the initial planning…

BUT On the bright side , after a long time you become very good at creating “Work Arounds”……

Y'all have me cracking up.

As a true professional... i have NO IDEA what you are talking about...

Ya see, first you have to fill out the osha forms with workmans comp insurance...

Then, for it to be a true project, a visit from the osha investigation team is warranted...

Note to self... invent time travel, go back in time and find out who the hell installed the ballasts in the light without the screws, so when you open the cover to service the fixture, BOTH 30 POUND BALLASTS COME FLYING DOWN THE TRAY AT YOU, SMASHING THE T12 BULBS ON THE WAY TO YOUR FACE IN A MERCURY VAPOR CLOUD WITH LOOSE WIRE NUTS AND LIVE 277Volts...
Wow that would suck and I can see it..

Speaking of sacrifice: I also seem to always drop a fastener or washer into an irretrievable location. That triggers another trip to the hardware store since it’s always the last one I have.

There's a Mil Spec way to address that.

Q: What do you do when you drop a piece of hardware inside a strategic missile in the launch tube?

A: Perform an engineering analysis of the energy it can develop if it comes loose and drops the rest of the way, while under 10g acceleration relative to the missile. Determine whether that is sufficient energy to cause damage to anything down below.

Reactions: JRH
There's a Mil Spec way to address that.

Q: What do you do when you drop a piece of hardware inside a strategic missile in the launch tube?

A: Perform an engineering analysis of the energy it can develop if it comes loose and drops the rest of the way, while under 10g acceleration relative to the missile. Determine whether that is sufficient energy to cause damage to anything down below.
Wow. And here I was worried about whether the tiny bolt that bounced into the sump pump well could do any harm...

It’s a real project when I can show my wife and she notices a difference

Seems like every DIY project in any area of my life always has one of these moments:

Me: I just need to... (pushes, pulls, stretches, reaches at odd angle etc.)

My Project: Snaps, slips, stabs, slices some part of me

My Wife: You know you're bleeding, right?

Me: It's not an official project until there's blood!

What makes your project official?
I used to be a carpenter. As soon as someone cut themselves, the concern was "Don't bleed on the woodwork!"

I once had an apprentice that quit because I was more concerned with him bleeding on the work than the cut he had.

But I walked the talk. I cut the tip of my thumb off on a table saw and insisted on getting the blood off the wood before I would go to the hospital.

Back