diy solar

diy solar

Justifying Going Solar, When is it a good time to make the move?

Gotta start somewhere lol.
Still pricey.
I install home super chargers for my customers, and it boggles their mind how much power is needed to fast charge a Tesla... for most average homes, a Tesla fast charger fully loaded will double the daily energy consumption of the home.

Not so for the OP home, that house must have a lot of square footage, and a lot of AC...

If my math works, I would guess he has a 600 amp service, with around 12,000 square feet in the home, and at least 6 ac systems, likely in the 24 ton range total.

There are a few homes like this here in Charlotte, and converting them to have AC was a chore. (Most used window units until the early 80s when it became more economical to setup central air)

I sure wouldn’t want the OP’s monthly power bill...

A home like that will need forced air cycling if the envelope is tightened up. How many pets and people live in the home? CO2 levels climb when large homes are sealed up, so there is likely a lot more than better insulation to lower the energy usage.
Changing to LED lights will help a lot.
Upgrading HVAC equipment to inverter drive and ECM air handlers will help a lot...
I don’t know the humidity in your part of Texas, but if it is high, dedicated dehumidifiers are a good way to lower cooling loads, and cycle in fresh air through the home with a FEW ERV or HRV setups.

I install home super chargers for my customers, and it boggles their mind how much power is needed to fast charge a Tesla... for most average homes, a Tesla fast charger fully loaded will double the daily energy consumption of the home.

Not so for the OP home, that house must have a lot of square footage, and a lot of AC...

If my math works, I would guess he has a 600 amp service, with around 12,000 square feet in the home, and at least 6 ac systems, likely in the 24 ton range total.

There are a few homes like this here in Charlotte, and converting them to have AC was a chore. (Most used window units until the early 80s when it became more economical to setup central air)

I sure wouldn’t want the OP’s monthly power bill...

A home like that will need forced air cycling if the envelope is tightened up. How many pets and people live in the home? CO2 levels climb when large homes are sealed up, so there is likely a lot more than better insulation to lower the energy usage.
Changing to LED lights will help a lot.
Upgrading HVAC equipment to inverter drive and ECM air handlers will help a lot...
I don’t know the humidity in your part of Texas, but if it is high, dedicated dehumidifiers are a good way to lower cooling loads, and cycle in fresh air through the home with a FEW ERV or HRV setups.
Thanks for that advise. Home is
2,697 sqft
AC uses 3000 Watts I believe.
2 Dogs, 5 people.

Thanks for that advise. Home is
2,697 sqft
AC uses 3000 Watts I believe.
2 Dogs, 5 people.

I think a good review of your power bill is in order. Let’s add it all up and figure what your home consumes. And if you want to discuss HVAC improvements or home insulation focus areas I can help there too.

Back