diy solar

diy solar

Li battery storage horizontally ok?

I am thinking of Battle Born or Dakota. Does it have to be installed upright or can it be on its side?

Most LiFePO4 batteries advertise that they can be stored/used in almost any direction except upside down (concern about the terminals I imagine. About every battery I looked at specified how it could be use. It wouldn't be hard to find ones that can be used in multiple placements as there is not anything to really leak out/vent in most cases. The manual for all the major brands are typically available to download.

And the iPowerqueen 25.6v 100Ah manual says it can be used any direction except upside down.

Seems that best thing is to go by manufacturer's guidelines on this especially since many offer long warranties. Would make sense to install per their requirements. I know Dakota says they can be "placed in any orientation."

Battle Born batteries are comprised of cylindrical cells and the Dakota batteries I have seen torn down are also comprised of cylindrical cells. Consequently, orientation is not important. However, this is not the case with prismatic cells.

A while back someone on this forum posted this schematic:

1697380247372.png

Back