diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a 500Wh solar power station. Considering the SUAOKI G500. Looking for advice before I purchase.

xrobin

Regarding the SUAOKI G500:
  • Are there any red flags or limitations I should be aware of with this product? Does anyone have experience with it, or can someone more knowledgeable than me look at the specs and see if this seems like a good power station or if I should consider something else?
  • Can it do pass-through charging? The manufacturer says it can't in a Q&A reply. Not a deal-breaker but pass-through would be nice.
  • I live in the PNW so I'd like to over-panel to get the best charge rate on a cloudy day. Can this be over-paneled? The specs appear to say it accepts 150watt solar input at 10A(Max)/14~40V. I'm considering getting two HQST 100watt 12v (New Edition) panels.
  • Will noticed a 44% loss when charging his Goalzero 1000 with solar and AC input. I'm wondering if the G500 has similar losses which could impact it's ability to fully charge from solar on a cloudy winter day, depending on how much I could over-panel it.
My situation:
This setup will be for my mother who needs to run her CPAP or else she will stop breathing in her sleep. She wants to be prepared for extended power outages as well as car camping trips. We discussed the possibility of a DIY system but she prefers the simplicity of an all-in-one portable that she can easily carry from the house to the car. We also discussed the possibility of buying two smaller power stations and charging one with the other to keep the CPAP running all night. She prefers one large power station but is open to 2 smaller ones if that will work better. In addition to the CPAP she wants to use it to charge her iPhone, iPad, and occasionally MacBook Pro, though in an outage those things will take lower priority to the CPAP.

I connected a meter to her CPAP's 110 AC power supply for two nights. The first night she ran her CPAP like normal with 75% pressure and 81F humidifier and overnight it used 370Wh. The second night she ran it with 75% pressure with the heater off and it used 110Wh. She would prefer using the heater because her throat gets very sore after sleeping without the humidifier, thus my idea to get the 500Wh battery.

Whichever battery we get, she also plans to get the DC 12v to 24v charger sold by the CPAP manufacturer so it can run more efficiently than using the AC inverter. Perhaps this will lower her nightly Wh usage, but I'm not sure by how much.

I'm new to solar power and power stations, but I've learned a lot from Will's videos and wanted to check here for advice. Should I tell her to buy the G500 and HQST 100watt panels? Or would you recommend something different? Thanks for your help!

Edit: Added a 4th bullet point

Last edited:
Best bet is to hit YouTube and Google. Get lots of reviews and inputs. Here's a start:
Thank you for the suggestion! I already watched most of those and it seems all the video reviews I could find were from non-technical consumer reviewers just showing off various electronics they could plug into it. None of them mentioned over-paneling, pass-through, or hooked them up to a watt meter to see how fast they actually charge. I was hoping for advice from folks who are a bit more tech savvy. I'll keep looking to see if there's a more informative video I haven't seen yet.

Edit: I've also looked at a number of written reviews but I'll keep digging for those as well.

Update: We purchased the SUAOKI G500 and the DC out ports don't work. When I press the "DC On" button, it gives an E26 error code, meaning a possible fault in the USB-C port. We've never used that port since we don't have USB-C devices, so it appears to have arrived in a faulty state. If we try to charge devices by USB-A or cigarette lighter plug, they'll stop charging after about 5min.

We're talking with the ebay seller about whether they know of a fix or if we will need to return it.

Other than that, the 110V AC plugs work great with my 2015 MacBook Pro 15", pulling between 30-60 watts. It also handled charging via two parallel 100w HQST panels well, capping off the input at 150 watts.

Back