diy solar

diy solar

Looking to go inverter & batteries. Need help

Gadget.26

Hi All. I currently run a catering van all my equipment runs of gass.
I’m currently using a petrol 3kw inverter. But looking to go full battery.
Electrical items - fridge 0.8amp each. X2
Freezer 0.8amp. X1
2x led tube lights. 40watt each.
1x led light. 20watt.
Extractor fan max 6 amps max. Which I hardly use majority of the time it’s off.
Slush machine x1. 450 watts. Again I don’t allways run it

I run the van for 8-10 hours a day on my inverter coasting me around £10 a day

Which sort of inverter and batteries and controller etc would I need ? Also would it be better to run the batteries to my original van battery or direct to my alternator to keep them charged.

I was looking to fit inverter and battery under the passenger seats in front of cabin. As in the back I have 2 gas bottles.

I have a 240v plug on the rear end of the van which i connect the generator to and turns on all my electricals. Thats wires into the back of the van into a fuse board.

How would I wire the inverter etc
Also what set up would be good to go for to run max 3kva

Is all of your stuff 120v? It matters because single phase inverters tend to be lighter and cheaper than the split phase 240v.

3kw for 10 hours is 30kWh (may be less, but you would have to tell us how much power you need).
30kWh battery is about $5,000 DIY.
Cheapest is likely to charge from home. To charge in 10 hours, you would need a 3kw plug, or 25 amps at 120v or 12 amps at 240v.
16 amps @ 240v if you want to charge in 8 hours.
Charging off engine would reduce battery size, but you probably need a 2nd alternator.
Putting a panel on the roof of the truck could help supply power when sunny.

You could try a set of tesla battery packs. They're compact enough that you might be able to find enough nooks and crannies to keep them out of the way.

My quick calculation suggests 6000 watt hours over the 10 hour shift.
Assuming you intend to charge the battery from 230 AC back at base, ( and the fridges are also AC powered at base) then a battery holding this power and being able to recharge in say a 10 hour period is needed.
Charging from the vehicle alternator may help a little, depending on the running time during the working period. Will consider this later.

Inverter. The main load is the referigation and lighting, that needs a 1000 watt inverter. However due to fridge cycling and fridge start up current, a 3000 watt inverter with good overload caperbility is needed .
Battery. Assuming battery power for the complete 10 hour work period and no additional charging, the capacity need to be,
at least 6000 watt hours, 470 Ah at 12.8 volts, 240 Ah at 25.6 volts.
To allow for conversion losses and not running the batteries completly flat , say 560Ah or 280Ah.
For efficiency, once the inverter power is over 2000 watts, a 24 volt system is recomended. ( A 12 volt system is possible at 3000 watts as an option)

Battery, https://www.fogstar.co.uk/products/lithium-leisure-battery-fogstar-drift-24v-280ah
Inverter/ charger.

The victron inverter charger will act as a 'pass through ' and supply AC power and battery charge when at base .

It's doubtful the inverter and battery will fit under the seating.

Back