diy solar

diy solar

Missing Sunny Boy Password Fix

Calvin98

So, if you you got one of the newer (discontinued now) Sunny Boy inverters (3.8, 5.0, 6.0, 7.7, etc.) and there is a password already set and you don't know it, you need to get a PUK (Personal Unlocking Key) for the inverter. To get the key you need to give SMA the serial number of the CONNECTION UNIT. Now BEWARE - some Sunny Boys have multiple serial numbers. I say some because not all do. Some have only 1 serial number. Others have one S/N for the lower part (the connection unit) and a different S/N for the power unit (the top part). Still others have the same S/N for both the top part and the bottom part. Makes for much confusion. Also, the S/N on the boxes (if new in box units) have the S/N of the connection unit. Anyway, to get the PUK you need the S/N of the lower parts - the connection unit. As mentioned, it could be the same as the power unit, or it could be a different number. I found out the hard way since I have inverters with every S/N variation available it seems. I gave them the wrong S/N and of course the PUK did not work. Hope it helps someone sometime.

Also, if you want to get tech support, you need to give them the S/N of the CONNECTION unit. If you give them the S/N of the power unit, you could get an "invalid S/N error" and not be able to create a "case" as they call it. I had that happen also. I just gave them a S/N of an older unit and that worked. Had I given them the S/N of the connection unit (in cases where the 2 units have different S/N's) the i.e. system would have accepted the S/N as valid and let me file the case (get tech support).

They did respond relatively quickly and I got the puk and am back in business.

This is also important if you buy a USED inverter and it has a password set and the seller did not tell you what the password is.

Back