diy solar

diy solar

Modified Sine Inverter Uses

I've still got a Sunbeam toaster on my kitchen counter. Anyone born before 1980 may remember these, no levers you just dropped bread into the slots and they slowley lowered themselves down and when toasted they slowly rose back up for you. Incredible design based on the fact that the tungsten heat filaments would stretch and shrink depending on their temperature. There isn't even an on/off switch.

My parents have a MSW inverter in their Monaco Diplomat motorhome (a very nice Magnum model), and they have burnt out more coffee makers than I can count on both hands! Let alone other equipment that has friend from it.

You see, this is what I'm trying to dispel.

What if it was built on a Monday and something wasn't right?

What if it had a defective leaky transistor that kept blowing your coffee maker but could have been fixed?

You've blamed the MSW technology for what could very easily have been a one-off problem with that particular unit and no others of that model or MSW technology in general.

That is nothing short of really poor analytical thinking.

If MSW tech really was to blame for burning out the coffee makers wouldn't you expect all MSW inverters to do that in all motorhomes?

If Magnum built a model with poor design and their design was to blame wouldn't all of these same models be burning out coffee makers all over America?

Doesn't the fact that this isn't happening everywhere to everyone kind of hint that maybe your parents just got a lemon?

I just believe you should think a little harder before you take an isolated problem from one inverter and decide that the problem was an entire generation of technology.

I would bet replacing that inverter with a different MSW inverter would also solve the coffee pot problem. The problem will likely be solved with the Victron, not because you upgraded to PSW but because you removed the lemon inverter from the equation. Of course you're free to believe that PSW was the solution if you want.

I made no reference to MSW tripping GFCI
I just said it happens and wondered if adding capacitors would keep the uneven voltage from occurring, and if that would affect GFCI function:)

GFCI measures current imbalance between Line and Neutral, by passing both through a magnetic transformer core and measuring signal on a secondary. EMI filters have a capacitor with an impedance between Line and Ground, conducting some current.
At higher frequency (sharp edge rates), impedance of capacitor is lower, current is higher, could trip GFCI.

Split phase and 3-phase EMI filters are balanced, no net current in ground. It is single-phase or imbalanced loads (different number of filters) that cause the problem.

Last edited:
You see, this is what I'm trying to dispel.

What if it was built on a Monday and something wasn't right?

What if it had a defective leaky transistor that kept blowing your coffee maker but could have been fixed?

You've blamed the MSW technology for what could very easily have been a one-off problem with that particular unit and no others of that model or MSW technology in general.

If MSW tech really was to blame for burning out the coffee makers wouldn't you expect all MSW inverters to do that in all motorhomes?

If Magnum built a model with poor design and their design was to blame wouldn't all of these same models be burning out coffee makers all over America?

Doesn't the fact that this isn't happening everywhere to everyone kind of hint that maybe your parents just got a lemon?

I just believe you should think a little harder before you take an isolated problem from one inverter and decide that the problem was an entire generation of technology.

I would bet replacing that inverter with a different MSW inverter would also solve the coffee pot problem. The problem will likely be solved with the Victron, not because you upgraded to PSW but because you removed the lemon inverter from the equation. Of course you're free to believe that PSW was the solution if you want.
I wouldnt even lean towards it being a bad inverter. Some of the worst wiring i have ever seen has been in a RV/camper. Not to mention the shaky outlets they plug into at campgrounds. It the wild west of electricity

Sometimes you get a situation where you have harmonics that couple to ground capacitively.
A situation can happen where a GF unit sees the charge current on a cable or sees the charge cable on a ground return path.
Its not a ground fault but it can happen and can cause a trip.
Not to mention the shaky outlets they plug into at campgrounds. It the wild west of electricity
You may want to avoid pushing the button for the cross walk.
Just saying....

Nevertheless I have never had anything electronic or otherwise fail on any of the psw inverters. My analytical thinking with 25 years of hindsight concluded that MSW isn’t worth spending when it cost me money replacing things far in excess of the cost difference of buying sine wave over stepped voltage.
People can do whatever they want to 😀
Your mileage may vary.

Back