diy solar

diy solar

Multiplus II AC input wire question

JJJJ

Aspiring apprentice
OK. I will be using a Multiplus II for a portable use situation. Because of this I will be using an extension cord 12 awg for the input.

This Victron version uses a tension connection and not a screw down. It worked great for the 6 awg output.

However when I insert the 12 awg will will not hold tight. I even tried a ferrule but no luck.

Any suggestions?

If Victron were to offer a spring tension to screw down block adapter I would seriously consider picking one up. I can appreciate the design considerations, 6 awg is much better at handling larger loads. However in my case I will simply be using the input from a simple outlet. @HighTechLab this might be an interesting niche market offering if it doesn't already exist.

In the meantime used this approach.

1711363376032.jpeg

Last edited:
Actually am still debating this approach. Have seen a case where the block connection shorted out. My wire is stripped to the right length to help prevent this. However this will be on a mobile unit which increases the need for safety redundancy. I may place this union in a junction box and run 6 awg in using the tensioned approach recommended by Current Connected. I also have an email sent to Current Connected for their thoughts

Does the manual suggest a minimum wire size for those connections?

(My original MultiPlus has screw down connections so I haven't really had to deal with these)

Not sure, probably. My original Multiplus also has screw down terminals which in my opinion was a superior design

If Victron were to offer a spring tension to screw down block adapter I would seriously consider picking one up. I can appreciate the design considerations, 6 awg is much better at handling larger loads. However in my case I will simply be using the input from a simple outlet. @HighTechLab this might be an interesting niche market offering if it doesn't already exist.

In the meantime used this approach.

View attachment 204548
What’s the size of the bare ground wire? 10 or 8awg? How’s that feel in the spring terminal compared to the 6awg?

OK. Just got off the phone with CurrentConnected. The minimum wire size for the Multiplus II is 6 awg.

Given that this will be a mobile unit. Will likely connect the 12 and 6 awg in a junction box and then run the 6 awg into the Multiplus II.

Last edited:
OK. Just got off the phone with CurrentConnected. The minimum wire size for the Multiplus II is 6 awg.

Given that this will be a mobile unit. Will likely connect the 12 and 6 awg in a junction box and then run the 6 awg into the Multiplus II.
Is that 6 awg regular-old THWN stranded, or the fine-stranded flexible stuff? or either?

that 6 awg regular-old THWN stranded, or the fine-stranded flexible stuff? or either?

In the video from Northern Arizona Sun and Solar I think I saw them use ferrules on the fine strand. I am using SOOW and it went in fairly easily.

Last edited:
Is that 6 awg regular-old THWN stranded, or the fine-stranded flexible stuff? or either?
In their “loop” video Dexter uses romex, but they recommend SOOW with ferrules.

Also that 6awg is for max power assist of 70a. I can’t imagine victron requires the minimum awg as the max awg of those spring connectors.

I’m gonna try and see of 12awg solid slides out of the spring on my 24v3k.

gonna try and see of 12awg solid slides out of the spring on my 24v3k.

It might be ok. The solid ground wire on my Lowes 6 awg is thinner. The wire on my extension cord is stranded, unless the ground terminal is set up for a thinner wire.

Either way hope it works

I wonder if you doubled up the 12awg conductor in a larger ferrule would do the trick.

Well Dexter of Current Connected responded to my email. He indicated 12 gauge should work fine. I suspect solid core in this case since this is about the size of the ground wire. Unfortunately the wire in my extension cord is fine stranded and did not work.

Back