diy solar

diy solar

Multiplus: LED pulsing only when on AC input. Ideas?

Madcodger

Solar Addict
Well, this one has me stumped. 24V 3000 KVA Multiplus powering three sheds. Works perfectly, but with one weird thing. LED lights controlled by Lutron Caseta dimmers. When on solar/batteries, no issues at all. I ran an AC line from the garage to the shed with the solar equipment this past summer so as to avoid pulling out the generator in cloudy stretches, so very clean AC input available. AC circuit energized ONLY when I need to recharge batteries. Recharges batteries through Multiplus just fine, and everything in buildings operates perfectly when AC circuit energized, EXCEPT one LED light (dimmable, equivalent to about a 60W incandescent, so low power draw). It is the only LED of that type/brand. That building (a wood-fired sauna) has two rooms, and the lighting in one room (same as all the other lighting in these building is fine. But in the sauna itself, only when on AC power, the light sometimes "pulses" at a rate of 2-3 pulses per second, even when turned up to full power. Often, turning it off and back on resolves it. Occasionally, it will turn on fine then start pulsing while being used. Sometimes, it works just fine throughout. This happens only when the AC input is energized, and SOC of the batteries doesn't matter - happens while recharging or when batteries full. AC input limited to 10 A through Multiplus settings and happens regardless of power being consumed by other lights,/devices. Any ideas? is it just the low power draw of this LED? If so, why does it happen only when the AC input is energized?

Last edited:
Well, this one has me stumped. 24V 3000 KVA Multiplus powering three sheds. Works perfectly, but with one weird thing. LED lights controlled by Lutron Caseta dimmers. When on solar/batteries, no issues at all. I ran an AC line from the garage to the shed with the solar equipment this past summer so as to avoid pulling out the generator in cloudy stretches, so very clean AC input available. AC circuit energized ONLY when I need to recharge batteries. Recharges batteries through Multiplus just fine, and everything in buildings operates perfectly when AC circuit energized, EXCEPT one LED light (dimmable, equivalent to about a 60W incandescent, so low power draw). It is the only LED of that type/brand. That building (a wood-fired sauna) has two rooms, and the lighting in one room (same as all the other lighting in these building is fine. But in the sauna itself, only when on AC power, the light sometimes "pulses" at a rate of 2-3 pulses per second, even when turned up to full power. Often, turning it off and back on resolves it. Occasionally, it will turn on fine then start pulsing while being used. Sometimes, it works just fine throughout. This happens only when the AC input is energized, and SOC of the batteries doesn't matter - happens while recharging or when batteries full. AC input limited to 10 A through Multiplus settings and happens regardless of power being consumed by other lights,/devices. Any ideas? is it just the low power draw of this LED? If so, why does it happen only when the AC input is energized?

The power draw from the charger isn't perfectly smooth.

Certain led bulbs have like zero capacitance and can detect this noise.

Like how a camera picks up the pwm of car led bulbs on your favorite youtube videos.

Is Powerassist enabled on the MP? If so, shut it off and see if that helps.

My first thought is bypass the dimmer and see if the light still pulses and or change the light.

Back