diy solar

diy solar

My big-bang-for-the-buck setup

So far, so good. That self-sufficiency % just blows away my expectations - I was just hoping for 50%!
SelfSufficiency.png
It's been running so well this spring that I'm already filling my 6 kWh battery by solar noon. So I'm expanding and about to add 5 kWh battery, and a 1 Ton (12k BTU) AC to use the excess I'm expecting to have during the hot months. I was actually scratching how I could use the excess power, but creativity came to the rescue - by pumping the output of a portable AC directly into my ductwork on an outlet served by solar! It looks odd, but I'm excited to see how it performs this summer.

I couldn't find space for a small heat-pump, so I got the most efficient 120v I could find. Maybe $600 + my time? The wood box has ducting to the outside for hot & fresh air to feed the AC. Thanks to some easy hacking, my furnace thinks it has an AC, and when it calls for cooling, the furnace fan kicks on, and Home Assistant turns on the AC. Beautiful stuff!
IMG_0839.jpg

So far, so good. That self-sufficiency % just blows away my expectations - I was just hoping for 50%!
View attachment 209329
It's been running so well this spring that I'm already filling my 6 kWh battery by solar noon. So I'm expanding and about to add 5 kWh battery, and a 1 Ton (12k BTU) AC to use the excess I'm expecting to have during the hot months. I was actually scratching how I could use the excess power, but creativity came to the rescue - by pumping the output of a portable AC directly into my ductwork on an outlet served by solar! It looks odd, but I'm excited to see how it performs this summer.

I couldn't find space for a small heat-pump, so I got the most efficient 120v I could find. Maybe $600 + my time? The wood box has ducting to the outside for hot & fresh air to feed the AC. Thanks to some easy hacking, my furnace thinks it has an AC, and when it calls for cooling, the furnace fan kicks on, and Home Assistant turns on the AC. Beautiful stuff!
View attachment 209328
I love that furnace.
I have installed a ton of them.
I like the 97% rheem models with variable speed blower.

I love that furnace.
I have installed a ton of them.
I like the 97% rheem models with variable speed blower.
Me too! It was also a DIY last year, even the made the connecting ductwork from sheet. Sadly, I didn’t get the variable speed one, just the 2 stage. There’s a place in Portland that caters to DIY folks.

Back