diy solar

diy solar

My EG4 6000xp Cabin Build w/EVE Battery

ChrisG

Solar Addict
Finally moved everything up to our cabin and set it up. Will be running via voltage for now. Runs critical load panel through interlock in smaller panel. 50a breakers in and out and 8awg wire for AC.

Have to get a Jbox and extend my generator input (wires dangling down on left). PV is after that when it gets warm, at least some backup from the power outages.

So far everything running great. All critical circuits for lights, tv, internet, deep freezer, refrigerator, Grundfos deep well pump, microwave, Senville 24k mini split (just testing mini split, will be moving out of critical loads).

Mounting tip, screwed in a 2x4 x 24” to the concrete block and used template on top of that. Then lifted inverter onto that 2x4 cleat and used tapcons into the block.

IMG_4593.jpeg

Since the last update I’ve had some voltage sag I’m dealing with. I changed the ‘connector’ of both sides of the 2p16s pack from busbars to 1/0 cable. Noticed the weight caused a dip between both rows of 16 cells and the busbars didn’t have the best connection. Voltage sag is MUCH better since the change but I think it can best by splitting pack going to a 16s2p with two BMS.

1707931695628.png

System has been running unattended for over a week and so far so good. Primarily running in passthrough but exercising battery remotely every now and then. Will be back to the cabin in a few weeks to start adding PV via ballast ground mounts. Debating getting the new JK inverter BMS for closed loop with the batteries.

System has been running unattended for over a week and so far so good. Primarily running in passthrough but exercising battery remotely every now and then. Will be back to the cabin in a few weeks to start adding PV via ballast ground mounts. Debating getting the new JK inverter BMS for closed loop with the batteries.
Hi, I'm new and have been researching non stop since about oct 2023. I'm building my first 48v eve 16 cell 300ah battery bank. My brother who was a&p mechanic was trained to build aircraft batteries but passed away on 2-13-2024 from a blood clot so I'm on my own now. I know some about electrical and I ran a small mechanic shop on weekends, I was an engineer full-time but in architectural millwork/cabinet maker area. I'm waiting for my cells coming from china and I'm thinking about going with a JK BMS also. I am just building as I can afford as I fractured my back in 2020 and got a diagnosis of ALS non progressive so my legs dont work well but I get by. I got 10 x Talesun 400W Bifacial Solar Panels
new from signature to start with and a couple 200 watt Bifacial that I bought not knowing what I was doing. My deal is picking an inverter that is stackable/split phase so I can run 220v also for crap. Did you have good luck with the EG4 6000XP
dealing with DIY batteries?

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new and have been researching non stop since about oct 2023. I'm building my first 48v eve 16 cell 300ah battery bank. My brother who was a&p mechanic was trained to build aircraft batteries but passed away on 2-13-2024 from a blood clot so I'm on my own now. I know some about electrical and I ran a small mechanic shop on weekends, I was an engineer full-time but in architectural millwork/cabinet maker area. I'm waiting for my cells coming from china and I'm thinking about going with a JK BMS also. I am just building as I can afford as I fractured my back in 2020 and got a diagnosis of ALS non progressive so my legs dont work well but I get by. I got 10 x Talesun 400W Bifacial Solar Panels
new from signature to start with and a couple 200 watt Bifacial that I bought not knowing what I was doing. My deal is picking an inverter that is stackable/split phase so I can run 220v also for crap. Did you have good luck with the EG4 6000XP
dealing with DIY batteries?
@Drafterdude First, truly sorry for the loss of your brother. Losing family is difficult.

The 6000xp was very easy to setup and configure as well as my DIY battery pack. I don’t have closed loop commutations so just running off of voltage rather than battery SOC. I may replace the BMS I have with the new JK Inverter BMS so I can get the advantage of closed loop communication but that will be a future project as it’s running perfectly fine now.

For the battery itself I’m going to split it up into two packs each with their own BMS rather than the 2p16s build single BMs build I now. Will give greater redundancy. I also ordered a Victron Lynx power in that will convert to take mega fuses for a cleaner battery install.

@Drafterdude First, truly sorry for the loss of your brother. Losing family is difficult.

The 6000xp was very easy to setup and configure as well as my DIY battery pack. I don’t have closed loop commutations so just running off of voltage rather than battery SOC. I may replace the BMS I have with the new JK Inverter BMS so I can get the advantage of closed loop communication but that will be a future project as it’s running perfectly fine now.

For the battery itself I’m going to split it up into two packs each with their own BMS rather than the 2p16s build single BMs build I now. Will give greater redundancy. I also ordered a Victron Lynx power in that will convert to take mega fuses for a cleaner battery install.
Thank you. OK cool. I didn't know you could do a closed loop with the 6000xp unless you used eg4 batteries. I think I gotta read more up on the jk's bms. I think I got building the bank down and all the balancing etc but there are so many bms"s out there with so many options on top of that, it gets overwhelming. Lol

Slowly adding to the system. Today I converted a Lynx Power-In to work like the distributor by adding m8 bolts and mega fuses. Also added my Victron shunt for the next update which will enable closed loop communications between shunt and 6000xp with an ESP32/MCP2515 CAN module with Pylontech protocol. IMG_4792.jpeg

Slowly adding to the system. Today I converted a Lynx Power-In to work like the distributor by adding m8 bolts and mega fuses. Also added my Victron shunt for the next update which will enable closed loop communications between shunt and 6000xp with an ESP32/MCP2515 CAN module with Pylontech protocol. View attachment 201429
Looks great. So you’re going to be running just as a 120volt system rather than anything 240v? What are you using for your generator? Will it have 120v or 240v output to back charge your batteries?

Looks great. So you’re going to be running just as a 120volt system rather than anything 240v? What are you using for your generator? Will it have 120v or 240v output to back charge your batteries?
if you look at my pictures further up, I have 120/240v from main panel to 6000xp grid input and loads going to subpanel. Everything is 120/240v (L1/L2/N/G).

For generator I have a champion 6000 120/240v inverter/generator currently going into my main panel on an interlock, will be moving that to Gen input on 6000xp this week after I get the Victron closed loop programming and device working.

if you look at my pictures further up, I have 120/240v from main panel to 6000xp grid input and loads going to subpanel. Everything is 120/240v (L1/L2/N/G).

For generator I have a champion 6000 120/240v inverter/generator currently going into my main panel on an interlock, will be moving that to Gen input on 6000xp this week after I get the Victron closed loop programming and device working.
Okay, I see that a bit better now. Had to login on my iPad rather than iPhone. My project will not have 240v available. It’s strictly 120v installation area. Getting 240v to it would be a great issue at great expense. I’m am also going to spilt the AC output into two separate legs. One leg will run just LED lights and some exterior plugs. The other will lead into the kitchen area to focus on powering a few 120v items (elec ignition propane range, micro and coffeemaker)

Back