diy solar

diy solar

need help with EG4 5kw charger ( chargverter )

chadjones99

chadjones LLC
So I've had a Eg4 charger ( well 2 of them ) for a while. one for a year-ish and the 2nd one I got 2 months ago. Now I am using my Honda EU2200 and an adaptor I made per the instructions provided for single-phase input. And it does charge with no issues as of the charging. I normally do not go over 24 amps (I am at 7500 above sea level and this is a max load on the Honda at this point ) Most times I stick around 20 amps DC charging rate . Now my battery bank is 4 sets of 6 golf cart batteries set up for a 48-volt system 55 to 57 fully charged. Here is the issue, if I do not set the charger back down to 2 amps or less and then start the generator it will not sync. The generator revs up and then goes back down to a lower idle ( even off EU mode ) . it does not trip the breaker on the generator and I tested the outlet and its still putting out 120 volt ish. like if I set it at 2 amps it will start charging and typically the EG4 charger shows 3 amps or so ... but not 2 .2amps LOL . Then I can raise the charge rate all the way up to 24 amps if I want but if I try to set the charger at like 5 amps or 10 , on start up etc it spikes the generator with what I assume to be a much higher rate when it tries to connect with the generator (FYI both Eg4 charges do the same thing, )I do not know if its a single phase input thing ?
Its just a pain to have to set the charger for 2 amps , go out start the generator ( off UE mode ) then go in wait for it to sync then bump it up to 20 amps , then go back out and set generator to EU , not to mention if it does not sync and revs generator then I have to start over..
just looking for input as to why it does this . Its not the generator as it works fine on all other loads and power is clean , etc

Do you have an eco mode on the generator? If so, disable it. The sudden draw from the CV is sagging the voltage. Eco mode makes it worse.

Ya , no I start it in HIgh idel mode .. then after it syncs and starts charging I go back out and go to eco , at this point I have not had any issues. its almost like the generator sees the charger as a dead short... very weird ... but it will lock on and start charging if I start out below 2 amp on the charger. then walk it up after.

Since the CV is designed to be powered from a generator, it would be nice for it to have a ramp feature to avoid the sudden draw on the generator.

Back