diy solar

diy solar

New to it all - pricing a home install now

Dagga

Hello!

I've gotten 3 quotes from installers/providers for a solar install. Suspiciously they vary quite a bit, and all have different components. After googling some prices of panels, inverters, and combiner that is quoted in proposal, I am trying to figure out what it is that is making these installs cost so much?

Perhaps I am missing some important equipment and labor. But it seems like its around $12k USD for the 26 400w panels, enphase inverter, and enphase combiner, and another 20k-30k added on for install! Yikes.

How do I best educate myself and negotiate without getting ripped off?

Use this forum, read around, watch youtube, etc.

I got a bunch of quotes last year, and ended up doing the whole thing myself, minus the main connection to the house, I had an electrician do that. I did a whole house backup, batteries, solar, ground mounts, blah blah blah, for anywhere from $30-50K less than what I was getting quoted.

Honestly, with some education, and learnign all the little gotchas, etc, if you can wire a new 240 circuit into your house, you can do solar.

Hello!

I've gotten 3 quotes from installers/providers for a solar install. Suspiciously they vary quite a bit, and all have different components. After googling some prices of panels, inverters, and combiner that is quoted in proposal, I am trying to figure out what it is that is making these installs cost so much?

Perhaps I am missing some important equipment and labor. But it seems like its around $12k USD for the 26 400w panels, enphase inverter, and enphase combiner, and another 20k-30k added on for install! Yikes.

How do I best educate myself and negotiate without getting ripped off?
Unfortunately, the 30% federal tax rebate may be enticing some installers to pad their quotes by about 30%. Last time I checked, trades people weren't exactly hurting for work.

10.4kW of panels for $32-42k. About $3.08 to $4.04 per watt. $3.08 is a decent number for someone else doing the work.

Decide TODAY if you ever want to add batteries. If so, then Enphase will be expensive.

Or are they also quoting batteries which for most people is a TOTAL waste of money.
Depends upon the situation. Some areas have additional State subsidy. Some areas have frequent or prolonged outtages. Some areas have significant Time of Use pricing differential. For Chicago, it is a waste.

Restaurant does not sell a steak for the same price as the grocery store.

As long as the equipment is good mostly this is price per watt comparison.

Back