diy solar

diy solar

New wall mount string in UK - panels and fixing method

Ron-ski

Solar Enthusiast
I'm looking at extending my currently installed Victron system by adding an additional roof array, and a rear wall array.

The rear wall array will consist of three panels, mounted at about 84 degrees, facing south west, with no shading issues.

The wall is 6.72 meters long, and the height between the doors and windows is around 1.4 meters. Length is my main concern, as I want these to look ascetically pleasing, so I need panels about 2 meters long, shorter panels just look odd, and the more common panels around 2200mm is too long, and generally produce too much voltage for the MPPT.

I will also be using a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/35 or 150/45 this is due to space restraints where the system is installed.

I've found the following panels which would fit nicely as shown in the Sketchup model below.

JAM60D-42-525-LB-SF Panels - Double Glass Bifacial - 2063 x 1134. Victron MPPT Calculator

Only odd thing is, I cannot find these panels anywhere else and I cannot find a data sheet for them, the company selling them has loads of good Google reviews so seems legit, I have emailed them this morning and await a reply.

I've also shortlisted a couple of other panels, which are not bifacial, the brickwork (I'm not painting it) is similar colour to the screen shot below, would I benefit much from bifacial, especially considering they are going to mount quite close to the wall?

Any suggestions on panels available in the UK of similar size?

1715415670210.png

Second question, fixing the panels to the wall.

Would these brackets be suitable for fixing the panels to the brickwork, using suitable wall fixings?

We get quite a bit of wind in the winter 40 to 60mph is fairly common, but the odd storm with 80 mph winds has been known, but that's very rare and at more exposed local locations.

I'd need to considerably shorten the adjustable legs, but that's easy done.

1715417626687.png

Bifacials won't help in your wall application. I think 6 vertical rails directly anchored to the brick and 12 end clamps would be, cheapest, strongest & simplest. I am also considering a few west facing wall panels to help with afternoon air conditioning loads, but mine will be a full foot away from a white wall, and the bottom will start 1 foot above very white cement.

Unistrut. Mine are hinged 1/2 way so they balance for changing the angle on portrait panels, but for landscape panels in a fixed angle you can hinge at the top. Withstood 90mph winds so far.

Attachments

• Hinge.jpg
    Hinge.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230629_080355679.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230629_080355679.MP.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230629_080408962.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230629_080408962.MP.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
@Gold Country Russ Thanks, it would be the simplest, and strongest, but I'd like to tilt the panels if I can, even six degrees tilt add another 100 kWh a year generation.

@kommando Thanks, I'll give the legs a go (there pretty cheap), will attach the feet to an aluminium angle to ensure the spacing is correct.

I received the data sheet for the Bi-facial panels, electrically they would be more suitably, no chance of three of them going over the 150v limit of Victron 150/35 MPPT. The other panels I found of a suitable size could exceed 150v at -9c or lower, although its not often it gets that cold here.

I still couldn't find much info on the panels, there is this press release and I attached the data sheet - they are JA Solar Deepblue 4.0 Pro JAM60D42 LB series.

Attachments

• JAM60D42 505-530 LB.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Back