diy solar

diy solar

Newbee has a few questions

Newbie#007

Hello and I would appreciate any help I can get, I have 8 new 100ah 12v lifepo4 batteries and was thinking of setting up a small system for the critical things.
The first question is what would be the best way to get as much usable power from these batteries, as a 24volt system or 48volt?
I already have multiple 2000 watt inverters that are 24volt and cables(2/0) fuses etc.

I also have 12 new 445 watt bifacial panels and fuses/wires as well.
I had initially looked at wiring the batteries like in my attached screens hot, of course two of said banks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231110_080835_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20231110_080835_Brave.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
If your inverters cannot support 48v system, you may need to make the batteries 24v to get the same volt with the inverter. How much DC input volt can the inverter hold? I think we need more details about the system to answer your questions specifically.

If your inverters cannot support 48v system, you may need to make the batteries 24v to get the same volt with the inverter. How much DC input volt can the inverter hold? I think we need more details about the system to answer your questions specifically.

First check specs of batteries, see if they allow series connection, for 24V or 48V nominal.
The BMS FETs will experience the full voltage, which is why it matters.

You didn't mention what charge controller. If you don't have any yet, consider something that supports 48V as well, for options in the future.

5kW of PV panels, 8 kWh of batteries.
What is the maximum allowed charge current?
This system could be good for powering loads directly from PV, only 25% of loads at night.

Thank you for a response, I've decided to go signature solar hybrid all in one unit or growatt.
Large pv input is a must with my 445 watt bifacial panels and my inverters were only 2000watt with a built in charger. I will post more when I get the 48volt hybrid in. Thanks again.

Take in to consideration no-load current draw of inverter. Some models may use substantial fraction of battery, others less. The lowest cost usually drain battery faster.

Also max PV voltage allowed, and Voc of your panels plus up to 16% higher when cold (you can calculate more closely, but that's a safe estimate.) Ideally no more than 2 parallel strings into each MPPT input, keeps design easier.

UL listing, if needed, and 120/240V much preferred over 240V only models.

SolArk is another popular model. Expensive, but the lower wattage models may be more competitive.

Thanks, I've decided on an eg4 6000xp the newest model and my batteries can be connected in series and quite a few.
The solark are very nice but to pricy at this time, I had a surprise diagnosis completely out of the blue in late July of pancreatic cancer and multiple surgeries since then but by the grace of God I'm still up and about but time is of the essence at this point.

Thanks, I've decided on an eg4 6000xp the newest model and my batteries can be connected in series and quite a few.
The solark are very nice but to pricy at this time, I had a surprise diagnosis completely out of the blue in late July of pancreatic cancer and multiple surgeries since then but by the grace of God I'm still up and about but time is of the essence at this point.
Hey bud, good luck with that cancer

first off the bifacial panels if installed in the a 50 degree or vertical will pull close to 500 watts the bifacial panels are monsters when set up vertical do allot research on them it's pretty impressive my bi facials are 400w almost vertical south/east and they pull 30% more than the 400w stated I had to go to a 100 amp controller anyway set them up in the yard vertical and then hook them up in series and then parallel and check your numbers once you get a read on that you can go from there with the equipment you already have but you may have to upgrade or cut the panels back good luck

Back