diy solar

diy solar

Newbie in NY

Chillin Dad

Hello all, I’m currently looking to take my home made RV to being 100% solar while stationary. I’m also new to this solar stuff so please be gentle. I’ve purchased 4 LG310N1C solar panels and want to use recycled Nissan Leaf modules. I currently have 7 modules which could be set up as a 48 volt system, they are at 85% life expectancy. I’d like to power a 120 volt 5k btu window air conditioner, 120 volt Bosch 7 gallon water heater (2 showers a day), 120 volt lap top, 120 volt cellular signal booster, 120 volt coffee maker, 120 volt electric cook top, 120 volt tv, 120 volt refrigerator, 12 volt water pump, 12 volt phone chargers, various led lights.
I hope I’m not asking for to much and welcome all advice. Thank you!

Hey Chillin Dad! Welcome to the forums!

Considering your purchases you don't sound like a newbie! So, my advice is to post a lot of photos. Mainly because I want to see what you're doing!
Browse the forums, jump into conversations, and have a great time!

Step 1, as many have said in many threads, is an energy audit. Measure how much every appliance uses, making consideration that something like an induction cook top only runs for 10 minutes at a time vs a laptop or TV that may run 3 hours at a time. Coffee pot is a hit and run thing, as is the electric water heater. That will give you the baseline you need to supply to power everything. Also, are you in a high sunlight area for most months? Will you be using the RV to chase weather in the winter months? (Like many people do.) AC is going to require a LOT of energy. From everything else you listed, since you won't be running them all at the same time you should be able to pull it off. There may be a condition that you need to turn something off to use another thing, but that happens in any situation where the amp draw is finite. One guy on youtube laughs that since his wife MUST use a hair dryer, everything else has to go off while she uses it. Like many thing in life, this is all math. And remember, as you wander the country, on days your batteries may be toward the low end, you can hit a campground for one night and use shore power.

Back