diy solar

diy solar

Newly installed RPS 200.

Donlumber

Installed it at off-grid property. It was easy to install. This isn't the final configuration but it's how I have it set up until I can afford a cistern. That won't be until after I build a tiny cabin.

It was cold and rainy when I finished installing it so I didn't check volume or anything yet. Will post more in a few weeks after I get back up there and run some tests.

The cardboard makes it look messy but the bentonite clay they packed around the well casing is like troll snot. I need to clean up the cables a bit but I'll wait until it's warmer.

20230422_174956.jpg20230422_173632.jpg20230422_173641.jpg

Thanks for sharing! When you get a chance let us know the specifics like well depth, static water level and solar wattage. 200 watts of solar I suspect. So the plan is to slowly fill a cistern which will have a higher volume pump?

Thanks for sharing! When you get a chance let us know the specifics like well depth, static water level and solar wattage. 200 watts of solar I suspect. So the plan is to slowly fill a cistern which will have a higher volume pump?
The well is drilled to 85 feet with the static water level at 44 feet. I have the pump set at 75 feet. At that depth the pump (RPS200) is rated at 3.3 gpm. The well driller said the yield of the well is 20 gpm.

Yes 200 watts of solar panels but the controller allows for battery backup as well. It's a 24 volt system so I added 2 deep cycle batteries. It can be run in either solar or battery mode. In battery mode it runs off the batteries and the controller charges the batteries via mppt charge controller.

I plan on adding a cistern next year after the cabin is completed but the pump will be a shurflo DC pump.

Beautiful spot. I never share photos and this has inspired me to figure out how to do it. I've got a few of these similar ones that always look majestic with cows drinking at sunset. I should sell them to their marketing department really and get some money out of this. I see your grounding wire in there too. Nice. That is one of my tips to anyone new to solar is to install that. We have lots of lightning and so maybe its more importnant for us but no grounding let to the untimely death of a few controllers. Since then almost no issues. Like the tee and the spigot on the well head too - gives you options later. Nice clean install.

I would be interested in hearing how this is working out for you. I have a windmill-driven pump that I am considering converting to solar and I have looked often at the RPS system. They have a lot of info on their site but I'm interested in getting some firsthand accounts from owners who've actually installed one.

I have had an RPS800 since June, 2021 - not a single problem. Some might consider them expensive but they work. If I had it to do over I would have bought the panels elsewhere - RPS panels were relatively expensive.

But, the RPS800 was my first foray into solar and I learned enough that I kept going and am now off grid. It’s a relatively cheap way to get started learning and their installation support (email/phone) was great. My well is 275 feet, static water level 85 feet, pump at 130 feet. The well yield was over 30 gpm when they tested it.

I have had an RPS800 since June, 2021 - not a single problem. Some might consider them expensive but they work. If I had it to do over I would have bought the panels elsewhere - RPS panels were relatively expensive.

Thanks for that feedback. At some point the leathers on the windmill pump will need to be replaced, and when that happens I think I will make the switch.

Back