diy solar

diy solar

Noob question - Panels described as 12V Home RV Car Off Grid Boat

Rowbear

Is there something magically different between a panel described as "12V Home RV Car Off Grid Boat" like this one vs. a panel that's described/advertised as used in grid-tied like this one. Am I missing something very elemental or is it just the way they're advertised? Just looking to get a few panels tied to a grid-tied inverter. As long as voltages of the panel(s) match the input to the inverter it should fly, right?

Already have a grid-tied Tesla system thats 6 yo working fine. I'm in Arizona Public Service area / customer / hostage and they're constantly coming up with new ways to screw over solar customers. Just hate to give them any $$$

Thanks for any responses and tips.

Nothing magical. Simply the number of cells in the panel and the size.

"12V" typically means a 36 cell panel that one would select to place on a PWM controller for a 12V system.

Vmp will be in the vicinity of 17-20V

You get about 0.5Vmp per cell.

The "108 cell" panel is actually 2X 54 half-cut cell panels in parallel, so its Vmp will be around 27-30V.

Thanks Eggo. We might have been almost neighbors. Lived some years in Overgaard.
And thanks for the "spoiler" link for more insightful reading. I'll put it to good use.
With all the advertising on various components it's an uphill challenge to really know and understand. Definitely a case of I don't know what I don't know.

Last edited:
When you see things like "12v panel" and "24v panel" that's marketing speak for "This panel produces enough voltage to charge a 12v nominal system, but not enough for a 24v nominal system" and the like.

Thanks Eggo. We might have been almost neighbors. Lived some years in Overgaard.

HBR is misleading... Not Heber... that stands for Honey Badger Ranch, which is about 25 minutes East of Show Low.

And thanks for the "spoiler" link for more insightful reading. I'll put it to good use.
With all the advertising on various components it's an uphill challenge to really know and understand. Definitely a case of I don't know what I don't know.

That's why we're here! :)

Back