diy solar

diy solar

Older XW6048 + Conext

finalrune

Hey, I've seen a couple threads where people have attempted to get a Schneider Conext Combox connected to an older (pre-2010) Xantrex XW series inverter. Would love to hear if anyone has had any success.

I've had this equipment installed since 2007, and it's been rock-solid! Xantrex XW6048, an C40 PWM charge controller with 900W of solar, and more recently a second 1.2kw array on a Schneider 60 150 charge controller, controlled by an SCP. SCP currently talks just fine to everything.

I'm going to be upgrading to LiFePO batteries (Kilovault HLX) - and as part of that process was hoping to get a little better insight as to what our overall consumption is. We have a pretty good handle on things based on having lived off-grid for so long, but as our lead acid batteries have gotten a bit tired, I suspect their capacity has reduced and so it's hard to know exactly what our daily consumption is vs. limited capacity (e.g. our batteries will hit float fairly quickly on a sunny day, but then still discharge overnight to be at 48v).

Anyways - I couldn't find an aftermarket option or an option that didn't involve replacing the inverter-charger, so I bought a Conext Combox off eBay in hopes I might be able to get it to talk to this equipment. (The advantage it offers vs. the SCP is historical logging of data, not just realtime outputs)

I've installed the Combox and the network part went well, the unit is powered off of Xanbus and connects to my local network. But it's not talking to any of my devices. I wouldn't be totally surprised if it won't talk to the inverter, but I'm pretty sure it's fully compatible with the newer charge controller? The power LED is lit up, the Xanbus LED is not.

My next idea is to try and move around the topology of the Xanbus devices (e.g. put the Combox daisy-chained downstream of the SCP). I've attached a diagram of current topology. Thanks for any tips!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 10.39.54 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 10.39.54 AM.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 1
note - it turns out I have ANCIENT firmware on the XW6048, 1.00.00 BN11 which I think is the original firmware these units shipped with in mid-2007. So my question might actually be, is it possible (or advisable) to try and upgrade firmware on a unit this old?

Back