diy solar

diy solar

Oops, great deal on the panels but pigtail leads are too short.

trad

Got great deal on 220W Sunpower panels from SanTan, but didn't realize that they came with short pigtail leads. As a result the pigtails are too short to go from panel to panel and connect in series. I was able to twist open the waterproof connection and pull the wire out of the diode box on the back of the panel much easier than I expected. It also seemed that I could push a wire back into this diode box and retighten the waterproof connection. I could create a 36 inch pigtail replacing the 10 inch pigtails already installed. Is this an acceptable way to fix short leads?

Or should I be buying or creating a bunch of 24 inch PV extension cables?

I would expect wires to reach the next panel. Maybe not long enough for panels placed end to end (I rotate panels to fix that), or for skipping to every other panel.

Maybe these were made shorter and used with microinverters or RSD boxes.

Is your application one where RSD isn't required?

Off-brand connectors, mixing two brands at every connection and doubling the number of connections, increases failure and fire risk.

Some people say they cut off MC4, use crimp connectors and glue filled heat shrink. You could use that approach to extend the pigtails.

If you can properly connect longer pigtails in junction box, that is fine. Again, make both male and female same model MC4. Some junction boxes I've seen are push-fit with a particular crimp connector. Older ones were screw terminals.

I would expect wires to reach the next panel. Maybe not long enough for panels placed end to end (I rotate panels to fix that), or for skipping to every other panel.
10 inch pigtails must have been for a micro inverter install. There is no way to reach the next panel.
Some people say they cut off MC4, use crimp connectors and glue filled heat shrink. You could use that approach to extend the pigtails.
This is interesting. Let me see if I can find what you are describing.
If you can properly connect longer pigtails in junction box, that is fine. Again, make both male and female same model MC4. Some junction boxes I've seen are push-fit with a particular crimp connector. Older ones were screw terminals.
These are sealed but maybe I can push longer 36 inch leads in place of these 10 inch ones.

Is this a rooftop install where you would need RSD?
If so, like for microinverter, the short leads won't be a problem.

Back