diy solar

diy solar

prismatic pouch cell for EV

Webbee

I wish we could get Will to play with (prismatic pouch cells) because I would love to see his ideas of usage. I have a few myself but I might not fully understand what they are.

Are the tabs meant to be soldered because that is the part that seems odd to me?

On my simple 3s and 6s packs I just used nuts and bolts. Some people use rivets. I saw Jehu's video where he was using grommets (rivets and grommets are probably fine for low draw applications only). If I were making a larger battery with a high amp load I'd probably make aluminum spacer blocks and clamp everything together with through-bolts.

They can be soldered, but the positive tabs are aluminum (I think) and the negative tabs are a coated copper (I think), so special aluminum solder and flux may be necessary. I was thinking of doing some tests with solder if I were to use these for a larger battery, but decided against these for large projects. They don't have the power to size ratio that good 18650's have (or larger cased LFPs for that matter)...so battery packs will be relatively large/heavy. But for the price they are great.

Back