diy solar

diy solar

Protecting PV cables from rodents? - ground mounted setup

Since 2004, I've lived part time off grid in a couple trailers in the middle of nowhere in Southern Utah with rattlesnakes and bazillions of mice and pack rats. When things begin to get chewed, I apply the foil tape if the chewing hasn't penetrated to any conductors and it stops. My neighbors report the same.

At the same location, I operate a wireless ISP that has several remote solar powered sites. Same problem, same solution.

At least in my location, the vermin hates the metal tape. It is pretty thick - much thicker than household Reynolds Wrap.

Now, I pre-emptively use it whenever any wiring that the miserable bastards can get their teeth around can be accessed from the ground or by climbing up whatever. Occasionally, they surprise me with their abilities and manage to get to something that I never would have imagined they could get to, but that's my fault.

"Ounce of prevention...".
Wow ok that sounds like legit proof it works. I'm going to give it a shot. Helps that you explained it's thicker than Reynolds Wrap. Really appreciate your input and taking the time to reply.

Wow ok that sounds like legit proof it works. I'm going to give it a shot. Helps that you explained it's thicker than Reynolds Wrap. Really appreciate your input and taking the time to reply.

Okay, cool.

I hope that this isn't a regional thing - i.e. rodents from other parts of the country love to chew flue tape...

That might annoy you some.

Okay, cool.

I hope that this isn't a regional thing - i.e. rodents from other parts of the country love to chew flue tape...

That might annoy you some.
LOL. I thought about that too, but I can at least try it on a small run. I'll keep you updated on what the rats and rabbits of Japan think of it.

I didn't read every contribution in the thread, but rodents are not a problem for a ground mount array if ......

Your only exposed wire should be PV rated wire attached from the panel to the mount structures with cable ties. A short run of wire goes into a combiner box at the mount, then a disconnect switch and exits as THHN/THWN wire in a metal or pvc conduit until it reaches the inverter connection.

I didn't read every contribution in the thread, but rodents are not a problem for a ground mount array if ......

Your only exposed wire should be PV rated wire attached from the panel to the mount structures with cable ties. A short run of wire goes into a combiner box at the mount, then a disconnect switch and exits as THHN/THWN wire in a metal or pvc conduit until it reaches the inverter connection.
I have to admit I don't really understand what this means. Sorry. So in this scenario is any cable lying directly on the ground at any point?

I have to admit I don't really understand what this means. Sorry. So in this scenario is any cable lying directly on the ground at any point?
No because the home run from the ground mount array to the other end of the circuit is in conduit. A lot of people here transition to buried conduit or buried UF cable

I am not sure laying direct bury cable on the ground is code compliant. Maybe there are some exceptions for PV.

No cable lies on the ground. the panels are on the top of the mount. The wires on the back side of the panel are connected together and travel along side the mount supports to a location above the ground. From there they are in conduits.

Attachments

• mount 3-1.jpg
    mount 3-1.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 8
Back