diy solar

diy solar

Questions on system build

oldbigfoot

I have a few questions on a build I am starting in a couple of weeks. It's a lv6048. 4 chins 12v 280ah batteries in series with a battery equalizer. 4/0 cable with a 250amp breaker and a 300amp class t fuse. I have been thinking about adding solar assistant. If I do will that eliminate the need for a smart shunt?
The videos I've watched on YouTube about SA says that it's possible to remote monitor my system. It's totally off grid about 4 hrs from home with no internet and marginal cell service. Is this possible? Also do I need a breaker or fuse between each battery?

4 chins 12v 280ah batteries in series with a battery equalizer.
Avoid this, if it's not too late.
You have a 48v system, you should use the proper (48v) battery.

I have been thinking about adding solar assistant. If I do will that eliminate the need for a smart shunt?
The Smart shunt is the most accurate SOC monitor.
It will send its SOC to Solar Assistant.
Use them together.
It's totally off grid about 4 hrs from home with no internet and marginal cell service. Is this possible?
Not without internet.
Also do I need a breaker or fuse between each battery?
No, not for a single series string.

Avoid this, if it's not too late.
You have a 48v system, you should use the proper (48v) battery.

The Smart shunt is the most accurate SOC monitor.
It will send its SOC to Solar Assistant.
Use them together.

Not without internet.

No, not for a single series string.
Thank you Tim
I know the 4 series 12v is not the greatest but couldn't beat the price. I got 280ah 48v delivered for 2000.00. I thought about cutting the tops off,taking the bms's out and putting a 16s 48v bms on them but can't justify cutting up a brand new battery. Hadn't thought much about solar assistant until I got to reading your threads. Hopefully will get a house built up there ( Mich UP ) and moved there in a couple of years but in the meantime solar assistant will give me some history on the times I get up there

Thank you Tim
I know the 4 series 12v is not the greatest but couldn't beat the price. I got 280ah 48v delivered for 2000.00. I thought about cutting the tops off,taking the bms's out and putting a 16s 48v bms on them but can't justify cutting up a brand new battery. Hadn't thought much about solar assistant until I got to reading your threads. Hopefully will get a house built up there ( Mich UP ) and moved there in a couple of years but in the meantime solar assistant will give me some history on the times I get up there
Yes, it will definitely log all of the information you will ever want to know.

Back