diy solar

diy solar

Recovering bricked / bootloader schneider context XW inverter with InsightHome

I have 12v barrel power applied. Had the inverter disconnected for 12 plus hours.
Damn. Ok, next I would try restarting the combox while the inverter stays powered. Then I would try leaving them alone both powered on and connected to each other and then coming back 15 minutes later.

And believe me, if my advice sounds useless I know what you mean. The repetitive steps feel pointless when I am doing them myself. But eventually, one of them works somehow. I wish I understood it better, but I only know how to do it with bull headed persistence.

That is not my experience as I recall it. I thought the bootloader mode was still selective about the firmware, and if it's failing to offer any I think the bootloader recognition process needs to be reattemped.
Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 12.30.51 PM.png
Here is what I found in the video linked above . I think you are correct it shows that if the device is in boot loader mode I should see all the firmware available for it. Even thought the tech said you will see all kinds of devices.

View attachment 214463
Here is what I found in the video linked above . I think you are correct it shows that if the device is in boot loader mode I should see all the firmware available for it. Even thought the tech said you will see all kinds of devices.
Yeah. Sometimes I feel like if you leave them on together, they will go through a new xanbus periodic transmission cycle and succesfully pass more info to each other. That's why next hope would be leaving them on together for a while might get the model number communicated.

What's a sense check ?
Lol. I'm not actually sure, I picked it up at work IT. It's the nicer way of saying idiot check, when you're talking about going back and checking for obvious glaring problems. Like "Can we do a sense check and go confirm it's actually plugged into port 3?"

Common sense check, I guess, when the problem may be resulting from a common sense fault.

Or maybe a check of the senses, like double check that your eyes are working lol.

Yeah, like a little hole you push a pin in to set everything back to original firmware. Could have used that a couple months ago when everything was so bricked (in a pro) that all insight selections, including restore defaults, was greyed out. In the end I believe it was BECAUSE I was using an external ps to power the insight. That was from another off-grid system, and I essentially introduced another ng bond. I think anyways.

Yeah, like a little hole you push a pin in to set everything back to original firmware. Could have used that a couple months ago when everything was so bricked (in a pro) that all insight selections, including restore defaults, was greyed out. In the end I believe it was BECAUSE I was using an external ps to power the insight. That was from another off-grid system, and I essentially introduced another ng bond. I think anyways.
I did something like that. Accidentally operated my CC and XW+ on two different batteries while they were not paralleled together. I believe it caused a xanbus power supply error in the CC but not positive about anything. I've had the greyed out problem several times and always had to fight it out with firmware updates and stuff.

This reset button is for real? Can you share every detail you know about it, like where it is on an XW Pro and if you know any procedure steps like hold for 20s or hold while powering? Edit: Wait I think I misread and you're joking. I could really use one of those too.

Last edited:
Lol. I'm not actually sure, I picked it up at work IT. It's the nicer way of saying idiot check, when you're talking about going back and checking for obvious glaring problems. Like "Can we do a sense check and go confirm it's actually plugged into port 3?"

Common sense check, I guess, when the problem may be resulting from a common sense fault.

Or maybe a check of the senses, like double check that your eyes are working lol.

Sanity check my code.

Thanks everyone for their insight.

So I have managed to get a hold of Schneider's support . The gentleman I was talking to informed me that the COMBOX is not supported to load .12 firmware on the SW4048 and that I should buy the insight home box. If that fails only then they will look into helping out with service / replacement etc.

I'm having a challenging time to accept that answer as I have done firmware upgrades (albeit not from boot loader ) to my other SW. Anyone know what's the best place to buy one ? I'm planning to buy an XW Pro any way at some point so I guess it makes it easier to justify the insight home box.

I'm in Canada and prices seem to be twice to what is being asked for it in US. Or is there anyone around GTA , Ontario that would be willing to help out here with the flash ?

Back