diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Lycan 5000 power box

Rossio911

I’ve been looking for a good deal on a powerful all-in-one build for My campervan. I’m new at this stuff but this seems like a solid deal. With the discount, $3300.00 Free shipping. No direct 12/can’t be charged from cigarette lighter but I don’t know if there was a way around that. Looking for your thoughts. Thank you!

The Lycan 5000 use-case is for portable AC power as an alternative to a inverter genset where noise or fumes are undesired. It's great for it's intended purpose, but this would be wildly inflexible for a campervan build. You'll be lugging a 265+ lb box that takes up a massive chunk of space. There are much slimmer pre-built "drop in" electrical systems designed for vans if you really don't want to build your own. They will be more expensive, but they will actually work.

Check out the videos that Will Prowse has created on YouTube. He's looked at a lot of these solar generators.

Renogy would not be at the top of my list of vendors to consider.
The Lycan 5000 use-case is for portable AC power as an alternative to a inverter genset where noise or fumes are undesired. It's great for it's intended purpose, but this would be wildly inflexible for a campervan build. You'll be lugging a 265+ lb box that takes up a massive chunk of space. There are much slimmer pre-built "drop in" electrical systems designed for vans if you really don't want to build your own. They will be more expensive, but they will actually work.

I would like to build my own system with similar output to the Renogy Lycan. I have a mobile workshop in my Sprinter van and I power the equipment with 1 or 2 Honda generators. I run multiple 120vac grinders at the same time, including 3x dust collectors. I would love a quite power source as I already have enough noise from the tools and the fumes from the generators are not nice. I have a friend that uses a Renogy with two extra batteries hooked up and he's says he will never go back to a generator for his mobile workshop. And he says he can charge the Lycan with the two extra batteries in about 3hrs.

Anyone want to suggest a DYI system comparable or better than the Renogy Lycan? I will build it into the van, it does not need to be mobile. And initially I would charge the batteries at home every evening before parking my van for the night (I can't park my van in front of the house because HOA). But down the road I'd like to possibly put some solar panels into the loop.

I checked out Will's mobile 48v battery/inverter system https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/mobile-48v-system.html
It looks like it might be a DYI Renogy of sorts. I'd be willing to spend a bit more and upgrade parts, using a different(better) inverter and batteries, if dependability was improved. I need something that is going to be dependable.

Last edited:
Moving batteries twice a day will get old real fast.

Figure out how much power you'll consume on a daily basis. That will give you an idea of how much storage you'll need in the battery bank. Also measure the maximum number of amps (continuous) at any one time. That will help you size the inverter. For what you're doing, I would look at a 48 volt system.

Moving batteries twice a day will get old real fast.

Figure out how much power you'll consume on a daily basis. That will give you an idea of how much storage you'll need in the battery bank. Also measure the maximum number of amps (continuous) at any one time. That will help you size the inverter. For what you're doing, I would look at a 48 volt system.
I don't want to move batteries at all. I want to rebuild my Sprinter workshop so that everything is built in. But I will plug it in initially overnight and then eventually add solar to the rooff of the van. As it is now I use two Honda 2200 generators, I do have to move those to just outside the van and keep them filled up, change the oil regulary, etc., and such.

I think battery power would be better as I could build it in the van permanent, just having to plug it in every night. I don't know enough about Batteries/Inverters, Yet, to know if a Sprinter roof can carry enough panels to be fully sufficient. But total solar replenishment is not nessasary as I can plug into shore power every night. My friend says his Renogy last about 8-9+ hours of work. And really a day is probably 4hr+ of hardcore use. So the Renogy can last 2 days before needing to be recharged. And again this is a Renogy Lycan 5000 with two additional batteries.

What my friend is telling me is that I need this (as we are basically running the same tools)...

The Lycan 5000: https://www.renogy.com/lycan-5000-power-box/

And two of these: https://www.renogy.com/48v-50ah-smart-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery/

From watching Will, I've got to imagine that I could build my own comparable setup for less. When on sale the two above items can be had for just under $5k is what my friend is telling me.

Last edited:

I’ve been looking for a good deal on a powerful all-in-one build for My campervan. I’m new at this stuff but this seems like a solid deal. With the discount, $3300.00 Free shipping. No direct 12/can’t be charged from cigarette lighter but I don’t know if there was a way around that. Looking for your thoughts. Thank you!
You will probably hate that inverter in there. This box is simply their 48v 3500 watt inverter and 2 of their 48v 50Ah batteries stuffed in a case.
and

I have and have used this inverter. It was "ok" as long as you dont try anything fancy like using the blue tooth.
The batteries are 15S and again "ok" You would be locked into using their batteries for any expansion. but again their software sucks so hard.... you should find ANY other idea.

You will probably hate that inverter in there. This box is simply their 48v 3500 watt inverter and 2 of their 48v 50Ah batteries stuffed in a case.
and

I have and have used this inverter. It was "ok" as long as you dont try anything fancy like using the blue tooth.
The batteries are 15S and again "ok" You would be locked into using their batteries for any expansion. but again their software sucks so hard.... you should find ANY other idea.
Yes I'm open to suggestions. I do have electrical wiring experience, about 18 years ago I did electrical wiring for a boat builder for 10 years and maintained strict adherence to ABYC standards and ABS-certification. And I still have many of my hand tools. So really, I think it best if I could build something that would not lock me into a proprietary system.

Suggestions?

If you were to suggest an Inverter and batteries knowing what I'm relayed so far.

The Lycan has two of those batteries and my friend has two extras, so four of those total in all. At this point he says his hardest day, and these 4 batteries, he's ended up with 45% left and feels he "might" be able to get through another day.

With just the Lycan only and its two internal batteries he did run out of power once, on a busy day and that is why he purchased two more.

I definitely want a battery/inverter system that would without doubt get me through 2 days with room to spare, just in case I forget or am unable to charge overnight. Eventually I will consider solar panels on the roof of the van to help out. But again, I don't think I have the space on top of a short wheelbase Sprinter van to have enough panels. So overnight charging is probably always going to be a thing, at least every two days or so.

Last edited:
Back