diy solar

diy solar

Running 2-24v packs from a 16s pack

rjaskot

I have a 24 v inverter that I want to run off of my 16s 48v lifepo4 pack. My idea is to center tap the 16s cells so that I have 2 8s packs (24v each) that I will parallel wire to the inverter. Keeping the 16s pack intact so that I can monitor the cells with my Daly 16s smart balancer and charge with my 48v charger.
Question? Is this doable

Oh you'll have all sorts of fun happen with that. The BMS is now bypassed for the load, plus as mentioned if you parallel the two halves while they're still series connected you'll have a short of some sort.

Could be fun to watch on video.

It's a short right? You have to cut the center bus bar.

Kind of a brain teaser but I'm pretty sure.

If you parallel them, it becomes a short. If you used them as two separate batteries the center tap could work unbroken.

So the only way to make it work would be to remove the bus bar between the 8th and 9th cell thereby making 2 independent 8s 24v battery packs then paralleling them to the inverter. Oh well not what I wanted to do but safety first.

It's a short right? You have to cut the center bus bar.

Kind of a brain teaser but I'm pretty sure.

If you parallel them, it becomes a short. If you used them as two separate batteries the center tap could work unbroken.
If you disconnect the center bus bar, you now have two separate batteries, but the BMS only has the ability to disconnect one of them. That's bad.

If you don't disconnect the center bus bar, you have a dead short from the middle tap to the main positive of the 16S battery, since both are connected to the inverter positive. This is also bad, but bad much quicker since the BMS can't do anything about it by disconnecting the main negative. EDIT ---> There are actually two dead short loops, with other being the two cables connected to the inverter negative. This one the BMS should be able to stop, if you're lucky.

Last edited:
Back