diy solar

diy solar

RV solar pre-wire is THHN, connection question

Juniper

Just read a comment from Victron about THHN (or maybe it was a solid wire end) not being a good match for screw down terminals, like on my 100/50 SCC due to not being squishable (my term) for good contact area.

Well, my camper came with 6 gauge THHN from the roof straight down to below the sink where the battery, SCC, inverter will be.
There will be 4 panels on the roof, 2s2p, 700w total. I can use a 6 gauge butt to connect the 2 parallels to the pre-wire on the roof, should I also butt in some 6 gauge marine wire under the sink before the fuse, SCC, and the final connection at the battery? That THHN is very stiff, hard to manipulate, not a fan!
2C0F0239-0B35-4608-B271-E5A7A67391DD.jpeg

2 choices, try to pull something like marine grade wire using the existing wire and hope or just find a different route to pull in the wire. Refrigerator vent is usually pretty easy to get through.
On the Trailmanor we had I ran the wire through Cordmate II. Stuck it in place down the add a few SS screws for added security and painted it for UV protection.

Thank you, I think I’ll try the DC disconnect. There is no fridge vent. With the Nova Kool 6406, there is no venting, roof or side. (compressor). I deleted the skylight and the roof rack as well for more solar real estate.
Thanks again for the solution!

Back