diy solar

diy solar

RV8R’s Off Grid Cabin

RV8R

Solar Enthusiast
A couple of days ago, I traveled to our remote off grid cabin & re-commission it.

This consisted of reinstalling the 250 Ahr 12vdc Rolls Batteries & hooking up 1/2 the array 3S (3 - 100W) Solar Panels.

North of the 49th parallel & some crappy weather ,,, sun, clouds, & a bit of rain. Still am managing to power my low energy use small cabin;

IMG_1422.jpeg

So day 3 & 4 was the end of October 2023. Either Victron, or I am nit smart enought to sort the dates out correctly. At least the 2 most recent days are correct.

Yesterday, I was able to get 310W outta a 300W array 😁.

I guess the ugly truth of the matter is I have no life ,,, so I sit isolated in my off grid cabin looking at all the pretty Victron graphics & dream up ways to harvest more sunlight ,,, of course when the sun has gone down 😜.

Nice - which Rolls batteries are you using ?

Hi @HarryN

IMG_7811.jpeg

IMG_7812.jpeg

I have the same Rolls in my van.

As you know all Batteries or even AGMs are not created equal.😁

There is discrepancy on the face of the battery. It says max charge is 87.5 amps and in the spec it says 75 amps. Given the choice I would only charge them at the recommended 50 amps. I have not investigated with Rolls why this discrepancy exists.

If I ever put LFP in my van, then those batteries would get inserted @ my cabin system, & I could config it 12v or 24v. If 24v then I can go 1400W max array vs 700W array with the 12v

Last edited:
To help forum members, I uploaded some battery specs and manuals into this forum section:

I wondered if you would mind creating a similar thread there with detailed info on the Rolls batteries that you think are interesting for your type of use? There is interest on the forum on batteries that will operate under very cold conditions and you have some experience with selecting batteries for this type of use.

Back