diy solar

diy solar

Schneider XW Pro - Small Currents on 'AC Out'

SniperSolar

General Setup: Have 4 XW Pros in a multi-unit configuration. The master inverter is connected to AC via AC1 for power and AC2 for sensing (to support automatic External Contactor operation). The slave inverters are connected to AC1 only. None of the inverters have anything connected to AC Out.

Question: Even with zero load, I'm always seeing some level of power (<10W) on each inverter for AC Out even though nothing is connected to it on any device. Does anybody else see this and know what's causing it? I wonder if it's the internal consumption of the XW Pro that happens to be connected to AC Out; but that's just a pure guess.

Likely inaccuracy in current sensing.

10W/6200 watt measure range is better than 0.2% resolution.

Output current is also calculated from AC input current and Inverter current so there are two CT sensors involved.

I have been searching for others that are having this same issue. There is a David Poz video entitled "Double your power handing with a second inverter". He had noticed this imbalance too. At 12:49 into his video he explains the AC Output Calibration adjustment in order to synchronize the output voltage of each inverter very tightly. I attach a still frame of his video showing the AC Calibration adjustment between AC2 Generator settings and Grid Energy Management settings.

When I installed my two XWPro's I saw this same imbalance and thought I could take care of it right away but apparently that configuration setting has been removed from the newer software.

I was able to find was a document from September 2022 titled "XW Pro Multi-unit Design Guide", It talks about using another program called "config tool AI" and it appears to require a USB-CAN adapter and some kind of password. A snippet of the manual is posted below with the same calibration constant you see on the Insight Home software of David Poz.

So the question is, where is the AC Output Calibration now adjusted? The David Poz video is newer than the Multi-Unit design guide so it looks like they made it accessible for the version of firmware he is using but not for my most recent firmware.

I also attached a shot of my inverters powering a 120v microwave oven. One inverter is supplying 942 watts while the other inverter is supplying 751 watts. It brings out the OCD in me and I would rather these two inverters equally share the load.

Attachments

• David Poz Youtube AC Cal setting.jpg
    David Poz Youtube AC Cal setting.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 2024-05-10 18_41_22-Schneider Electric - XW Pro AC load split.jpg
    2024-05-10 18_41_22-Schneider Electric - XW Pro AC load split.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2024-05-10 21_39_45-XW Pro Multi-unit Power System Design Guide (990-91373) .jpg
    2024-05-10 21_39_45-XW Pro Multi-unit Power System Design Guide (990-91373) .jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 3
I have been searching for others that are having this same issue. There is a David Poz video entitled "Double your power handing with a second inverter". He had noticed this imbalance too. At 12:49 into his video he explains the AC Output Calibration adjustment in order to synchronize the output voltage of each inverter very tightly. I attach a still frame of his video showing the AC Calibration adjustment between AC2 Generator settings and Grid Energy Management settings.

When I installed my two XWPro's I saw this same imbalance and thought I could take care of it right away but apparently that configuration setting has been removed from the newer software.

I was able to find was a document from September 2022 titled "XW Pro Multi-unit Design Guide", It talks about using another program called "config tool AI" and it appears to require a USB-CAN adapter and some kind of password. A snippet of the manual is posted below with the same calibration constant you see on the Insight Home software of David Poz.

So the question is, where is the AC Output Calibration now adjusted? The David Poz video is newer than the Multi-Unit design guide so it looks like they made it accessible for the version of firmware he is using but not for my most recent firmware.

I also attached a shot of my inverters powering a 120v microwave oven. One inverter is supplying 942 watts while the other inverter is supplying 751 watts. It brings out the OCD in me and I would rather these two inverters equally share the load.
I have never seen it instructed to use this specific setting location for multi unit systems, only the old config tool advice, but I have adjusted my single unit in the advanced mode of the configuration settings menu on insightlocal.

I forget the exact name but it's a dropdown with password protection and a warning and the password is XWproGridCodes

Well this is the area it would be in if I had access. Where do I get this password? It is not the one I use to get into Insight Home.

Attachments

• Advanced menu password.jpg
    Advanced menu password.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 3
Well this is the area it would be in if I had access. Where do I get this password? It is not the one I use to get into Insight Home.
You missed the best part, I actually have it for you! For real, the password is XWproGridCodes

Welcome to the voltage keepers society. We meet on Thursdays and just so you know it is customary to bring a light snack or refreshment to share.

HA HA. Too funny! No I was working on my first cup of coffee and failed to see the last line of your message. Duh! I did request the passcode from Schneider, had my gloves off and was ready to fight the good fight. Never expected it to be an automatic process that spits out the password that quickly. I guess it does kind of keep the totally clueless out of the touchy settings. OK now I am off to the races! Thanks hwy17!

Attachments

• Schneider open sesame.jpg
    Schneider open sesame.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 3
HA HA. Too funny! No I was working on my first cup of coffee and failed to see the last line of your message. Duh! I did request the passcode from Schneider, had my gloves off and was ready to fight the good fight. Never expected it to be an automatic process that spits out the password that quickly. I guess it does kind of keep the totally clueless out of the touchy settings. OK now I am off to the races! Thanks hwy17!
Nice! I'm curious what did your inverters come set to by default? Like do they typically run around 115 or 120?

Mine arrived to me second hand putting out 115, and I dialed it up to where it tries to stay on 120.1-121. From there I do see it get up to the 124's sometimes while it's grappling with changing loads, which is ok with me too. I was never sure if the owner before me did the 115 calibration themselves.

My inverters from the factory are 237.9 (L1-L2) or 119.0 (L1-N) and the second one is 237.5 (L1-L2) or 118.8 (L1-N). The only reason I can think someone would set them at 115 volts would be to extend the filament life of incandescent light bulbs. When I have a moment to make adjustments, I will probably shoot for around 246/123 volts. I just now measured my utility voltage at 248.5/124 in my shop building sub-panel over 200 feet from the pole transformer. A higher voltage is better for starting motor loads.

I just now measured my utility voltage at 248.5/124 in my shop building sub-panel over 200 feet from the pole transformer. A higher voltage is better for starting motor loads.
Yeah that's where I got my preference, my utility comes in at 124 under no load. So I figure if my XW's gonna be a bit unstable and overshoot sometimes, I know I'm comfortable with it being at up to 124 for sure. So 120.9 is what acheived that in my system.

Sometimes I get tempted to dial it higher, but remind myself 120's fine and good and don't try to improve something that's not broke.

I personally wish we would have switched to 240 volts years ago and forget about this split-phase nonsense. The Brits have humongous plugs but they have fuses built in and are much safer than our goofy design.

I personally wish we would have switched to 240 volts years ago and forget about this split-phase nonsense. The Brits have humongous plugs but they have fuses built in and are much safer than our goofy design.
I agreed strongly until I got more into DIY and now I don't know, I sort of appreciate that the most likely shock hazards in our panels are 120v line to ground ones. Not a great reason to compromise the entire design of an electrical system, but it is a nice safety feature.

I wish that we could see more prolific use of our 240v outlets though, like 6-15's becoming common in kitchen so that 3kW consumer countertop appliances could become available. But I've got one for myself, and a 3kW kettle from the UK, so I'm good and don't have to wait on that to change to have my water boiled fast.

Back