diy solar

diy solar

Serviceable Batteries Vs NON Life4, using 12 volt to make 48?

Moretorque

On batteries is serviceable or non serviceable the way to go? Do 4 12 volts make a good 48 or is it just a hassle to wire them as such and just use 48. Just wondering if I should have my system set up with this kind of flexibility is all.... Thank you...

On batteries is serviceable or non serviceable the way to go?
I like serviceable, that's why I build my own. You can buy pre-built like SOK that are user serviceable. Shipping a bad battery back is extremely difficult and expensive. Having a new cell or BMS shipped to you is pretty straight forward.
Do 4 12 volts make a good 48 or is it just a hassle to wire them as such and just use 48. Just wondering if I should have my system set up with this kind of flexibility is all....
With lead acid, sure. With LiFePo4 not so much. I would not run multiple 12V in series... Search around and you'll see more issues and pros.
Now if you had a serviceable 16s 48V you could break it down to 24V or 12V as long as you had the correct BMS... How's that for flexibility 😉.
Thank you...
You're welcome.

What else is out there that is serviceable, for what a SOK cost should I just get a Trophy?

Last edited:
I like serviceable, that's why I build my own. You can buy pre-built like SOK that are user serviceable. Shipping a bad battery back is extremely difficult and expensive. Having a new cell or BMS shipped to you is pretty straight forward.

With lead acid, sure. With LiFePo4 not so much. I would not run multiple 12V in series... Search around and you'll see more issues and pros.
Now if you had a serviceable 16s 48V you could break it down to 24V or 12V as long as you had the correct BMS... How's that for flexibility 😉.

You're welcome.
Thanks for the help and that was very helpful. I think my best bet is to buy the batteries that are serviceable and just buy cheap stuff to go around them because nobody seems to make what I want. Victron nor Schneider are outdoor rated and have less warranty than the big EG4... The SolArk 15 and the EG4 18 do have great warranties and are rated outdoor.

Any other input would be great thanks to all....

What else is out there that is serviceable, for what an SOK cost should I just get a Trophy?
Really not sure. I'm hoping others chime in with feedback.

Does the equipment have to be outdoor rated? Have you considered building an insulated equipment shed?
Honestly I'd take Schneider or Victron over Lux Power (EG4 18kPV) or Deye (Solark) any day of the week.

Full disclosure this is coming from a guy that builds his own batteries and imports AIOs...

Yaa I agree, no it does not have to be outdoor. What was surprising was the Oupes 2400 was outdoor rated and a three year warranty for 799 AIO but you cannot add to it. I talked to Dan the man at Trophy batteries and I think they may be good for me, they sell Victron and have their own batteries made but they are 1675 plus shipping so it's not cheap by any means but tech support means alot. Either a Victron 450/100 or a Schneider 80/100. I don't know anything about this but any help on which one is better would be great. The Schein only has a 3 year warranty while the Vic has 5....

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. greatly appreciated. I just picked up a new Vic 450/200. I just wanted a few thousand watts when I started but why not have the ability to grow. From my reading and learning here I think I learned you buy right right from the beginning or it's just gonna cost you more shortly down the road...

I'm going with packaged 100ah, 12 volt lifepo4 batteries with balancers.

These are highly rated and they seem like quality balancers. They have an aluminum case.
One balancer can balance 8 - 12 volt batteries in a 48 volt setup. 2P, 4S. or just 4S.

Its easy to swap out 12 volt batteries. They have their own BMS. They have a plastic case, etc. They show up from Amazon in a few days usually with free shipping. If one goes bad, its not hard to get another.

If you make your own battery, you need to put dividers between cells. They say you are supposed to supply some compression, but not too much, etc. Its a lot more complex. You need to keep the cell cans away from each other. They can't sit on a conductive shelf. A case is a really good idea. But where does that come from?
There is nothing wrong with assembling your own battery, it all comes down to what you want to do.

The best quality, low cost, 12 volt 100ah batteries I have found that are consistent, are the Redodo batteries. They used to be called Zoom.
They have a 5 year warranty. Every battery I have purchased from them has tested to well over 100 ah. Some over 105ah.
If you shop carefully you can get them for about $200 each. They go on sale once in a while for a bit less.
So 48 volts at 100 ah for about $800 delivered plus a balancer for $55 = $855 for just over 5KWHR at 48 volts. You need to add interconnecting cables as well of course.

Back