diy solar

diy solar

Shed Consumer Unit Wiring

ShaneC

Hi,

I plan on involving an electrician to do the final hook-up of the mains connection into the house's consumer unit, I would just like to sanity check my plans for the shed's consumer unit. The shed will have solar on the roof, charging a 280ah 24v battery pack along with a 2kw inverter which will feed into the consumer unit. The inverter does not bond earth and neutral internally.

The main item here is an ATS that will switchover from Inverter power to Mains if the Inverter fails. That controls a contactor which bonds Earth to Neutral if the Inverter power is currently being used. This ensures that there is no Earth to Neutral bond if the mains power is being used. I imagine that contactor will have to be NO in order to ensure it is disconnected in the event of power outage or failure.

The power from the main CU in the house will be via an RCD so doesn't need one on the shed side. The power from the Inverter will pass through an RCD before going to the ATS.

Screenshot 2023-08-01 170327.png

Sorry for the mess of arcs where wires crossover, I tried to keep it as neat as possible. If you see any glaring issues please let me know. Once I have an electrician selected for the job I'll pass this by them too but I plan to set most of this up to work purely off solar sooner rather than later just without the mains backup for now. Please note for breaker size selection that this is on 240V AC.

EDIT: And for those used to US wire colours, the wires here are:
Brown - Live
Blue - Neutral
Green - Earth
Grey - Twin + Earth before it gets split

Did you get this sorted Shane
HI, yes I have had it up and running for a couple of months now. Pity about the complete lack of sun at this time of year in the UK :D

I chose not to use a contactor and instead just connect the neutral going in to the RCD directly to the earth. This should work as the ATS should not let the mains neutral touch the inverter neutral (and thus the earth) however in practice I have seen the house RCD and inverter RCD both trip when the ATS is triggered. It happens maybe 1 in 10 times but it renders the ATS fairly pointless as I don't have a guaranteed supply. Pretty sure it's because it's quite a cheap Chinese one.

Last edited:
Back