diy solar

diy solar

Should I keep these batteries?

JohnF2015

I work at a shop and we just had two unit that are basically brand new get scrapped. These unit are electric lawn mowers with 58volt 30Ah 1680wh batteries I have 3 of them at this time. The battery's are good just other issues with the unit. My question is there a way to use the batteries in a DIY power wall for home use or should I just then the junk guy take them? The part number on the batteries is MTD48RB30. Any help would be great.

The safety sheet for that battery (here) says that it is nominal 32.5Ah, max 30Ah, 1680Wh, and that it is made up of 182 cells (!). Not sure what kind of chemistry it is.

I agree with @sunshine_eggo - There should be something you can do with them. If you can figure out the charge / discharge curve, you could run three in parallel to power a 48V inverter. The key will be to get the battery settings right on the inverter.

The chemistry may not be - probably will not be - as safe as LiFePO4. So, there's that to consider.

The safety sheet for that battery (here) says that it is nominal 32.5Ah, max 30Ah, 1680Wh, and that it is made up of 182 cells (!). Not sure what kind of chemistry it is.

I agree with @sunshine_eggo - There should be something you can do with them. If you can figure out the charge / discharge curve, you could run three in parallel to power a 48V inverter. The key will be to get the battery settings right on the inverter.

The chemistry may not be - probably will not be - as safe as LiFePO4. So, there's that to consider.

Probably 13P14S or 14S13P 3.7V lithium.

Suspect it's a bunch of ~2Ah 18650s. I don't now that I'd use it as 3 parallel batteries without understanding the BMS first, BUT I would use them as a source to DIY my own battery.

Back