diy solar

diy solar

Signature solar eg4 6500ex 48v F08 code

Asymair95

I have a parallel system of 2 signature solar eg4 6500ex 48v inverters with a rack of 7 eg4 batteries.

I am now on my fourth Inverter, and once again, having issues. This time I am having a F08 code on the slave inverter. This will shut the system down automatically. This almost always happens when there are clouds passing by. If it’s totally cloudy, or total sun, it’s usually fine. Although, yesterday it was full sun, and I got the code one time. 90% of the time though, it’s usually because of passing clouds.

Second issue is the power dropping off for several seconds, then immediately coming back on. This is obviously bad for appliances and such. No codes associated with this.

There is no grid AC input for these inverters, just running in an off grid configuration. The grounding screws have been removed. This was done by previous owners I guess, as they were refurb unit’s.

I’m so done with these inverters. It’s been nothing but issue after issue. Dealing with signature solar has left me with mild ptsd. I’ve been having this issue for months, and been putting off calling them because it’s such a headache every time.

Not sure if it matters, but I have my system set up the same way Will Prowse does. Inverters feeding into a junction box, then into a backup generator panel feeding circuits I pulled out of the main cab panel.

Thank you in advance for the help. This community has helped me a bunch in the past with other issues.

Last edited:
I apologize in advance for the homework, however, finding the source of the F08 can be challenging. Could you share/post the following information:
  1. AC input voltage readings
  2. DC input voltage readings
  3. PV input voltage readings
  4. PV array size and panel specifications
  5. Firmware version
  6. Wide shot of the system

Jared,
Been thinking about it, and I’m just going to do the upgrade program. Going to try my luck with the 18 kpv model. I can’t trust these 6500s, they work for six months, then start giving me issues. Thank you for trying to help though.

Just wanted to update this thread with a work around that seems to have cured my problem in case anyone has this issue later.

My slave inverter was having F08 codes during partly cloudy days, as well as dropping offline. I noticed this really only happened during battery charging, and when the sun re-emerged from the clouds. So I manually reduced charge amps on the slave inverter to 10amps, and left the master inverter charging amps at 60.

This has eliminated the issues I was having. Of course this drastically reduces my charging capability, but I find it is still enough to charge the battery bank before nightfall. In Winter months, I think this wouldn’t be the case though.

I will be installing my 18kpv this weekend. Hopefully, with better results.

Back