diy solar

diy solar

Sizing for off grid hunting shack

jduns

I have an off grid building and want to put 3 15 cu ft freezers in it. I am having trouble calculating for panels, how many and wattage and battery storage. I had originally figured 8 actual running hours for a freezer, but it appears they run 80-90% of the time. So if you have 700 watts times 21 hours that is 14,770 watt hours per day & have 3 freezers which amounts to 44,100 wh. Southern exposure is great. Figure 2 no sun days So how do I determine panels wattage & battery storage neneeded

First, check your consumption. You'll shit yourself at the cost to power 44.1kWh/day - that's 1.5X the average U.S. household's energy consumption.

What does the yellow energy star label on them say?

For a 14.8cu-ft Frigidaire chest freezer at home depot: 296kWh/year

296kWh/year = 296/365 = 0.81kWh/day.

3X of that is 2.5kWh/day rounded up.

Note that this standard has changed to simply represent the amount of energy required to power it with the door closed in 90°F ambient conditions. If you open the door, or its hotter, you may use more. If it's colder, you'll use a lot less.

I have a 10.1 cu-ft fridge in a very cold RV right now, and it rarely runs. In the last 24 hours, it has turned on twice using about 60W of power:

1705195486052.png

For cool down or large mass changes, you can get extended run periods. I'd size for 3-4kWh/day

Second, model a 1kW array at your location on PV Watts in my signature line #1.

That will tell you the average solar hours/day you get by month.

Pick the most appropriate month (usually the lowest) and divide your consumption by that number, e.g., 4kWh/day / 2.5hr/day = 1600W of PV.

Re-run PVWatts for that array to see your actual harvest.

Check link #3 for a prediction on how many days your battery will be empty/full.

You'll need 3-4kWh of usable battery capacity for every 24 hours between charges.

Back