diy solar

diy solar

Small Grid Tie Suggestions

Darksolar

I have a full solar system on my home. About 9000 watts. I have a shed with a dedicated breaker to my home. I wanted to get a small plugin grid tie inverter and 2 to 4 panels to put on the roof of the shed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

When you say 2 to 4 panels, are you talking about commerical type 300 watt range or 100 watt Amazon type panels? What is your total planned solar watts?

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on adding maybe a total of another 800 watts from the shed but I am open to suggestion especially if I can grow it over time. Since I have solar on the house and a two way electrical meter I thought adding some more power from my shed roof would be a good project and a way to expand my solar myself.

To determine the inverter that you need, the panel voltage is one of the factors.

Odds are your home system is using large 300watt size panels. If you want to add to your system, I would consider a grid tie micro inverter(s) and more large panels. Large panels are cheap per watt if you can get them without shipping costs. Maybe look for some used ones local to where you live.

You will be better with a real grid tie production type inverter than a plug into the house wall socket type. Something like this should be considered. If you have 240v in your shed, you can add a small breaker box (if you don't have one), then wire 240v to your panel mount, and wire in a micro grid tie inverter, or a string of them. There are several on the market that will work without special monitoring or communication equipment. Just plug and play.

Microinverters would work well. Possibly 120v ones if you dont have 240v out there. A single sunnyboy 1800u is 120v and would work great. Inexpensive.

If you are already feeding a 40A system into your mains panel you likely need to check your service. If they landed the backfeed in your panel and you have only 200A service you could only safely add 600w and would need to combine them in a sub or something and feed that 40A breaker. Unless they did it line side or you do your new one line side.

Back